Runnig moose shoot?

I shoot at a moving animal thus-
A flying animal such as duck/goose/quail/dove (with a shotgun).
A wounded animal.
A nuisance animal such as a coyote/feral pig/etc.
Anything threatening me.

Other than that - it can stand still or I will not shoot. I don't have to take the shot. I don't need it that badly.

Hi everyone,

Had a deffrent opinion on one question with a shooting buddy of mine.

We shoot out to 600yds with 308 as much we can and feel confortable to hit up to that distance on game.

The trick is that now is say that he will take shoot at à running moose at 400yds if he see one will hunting... with is 308 20inch bull barrel cause groupe wont open on 6 round like à regular hunting barrel will do....

No practice on mouving target at any range with rifle... and no pratice with shotgun at clay target to...

Told him he was crasy to risk that kind of shot at game if he dosent have try it on target first.

I wont event think at a shot like that with my 338win or my 7mm mag...

Running moose at 400yds... Is it me that is to shy?
I have to admit that i am guilty and I shouldn't say this but what is wrong with all of us even looking at this thread it's absolutely silly even to talk about let alone even be "brave" not the word I want to use, to ask this on a general hunting forum. Just crazy sound like this is just some post to get everyone riled up. I'm out!!
Just silly

I am an Eastern hunter and most of what we have is private farms (not western ranches) and National Forest. Farms are all working farms and National Forest can get pretty crowded with some sections having Appalachian Trail winding through. Most shots are under 200 yds, but I would never take a chance on a running deer. I worry about the animal, but I couldn't live with myself if I shot someone I didn't see!
That has ALWAYS been my biggest fear!
Thanks for bringing that up,we all need to be reminded from time to time!

Here in the UK if you took risks like this feller, you would lose your gun license for taking a risky shot, everyone tries to make the shot a clean one and not let any animal suffer but with this type of shooting at a moving /running target, The chance is the poor animal will not be killed out right and will suffer, And a great argument for the Anti bloodsport type
I believe we should pay closer attention to the traditions and ethics of British/European hunters. Not sure how we can cull out the non "hunters" in the USA that gives us a bad name.

I try to shoot my hunting rifles at least once a week. Sometimes two or three times a week. Shoot at !00 and 300 yards. Sometimes I would put 120 rounds of the hunting loads through the rifle prior to a hunt. Lots of great three shot groups, but NONE of that practice makes me think I'm capable of taking a killing shot at a running animal. I'm not that good, and I don't want to just injure an animal, and loose it. Of all the things I should never do while hunting, that's among the worse.

Hi everyone,

Had a deffrent opinion on one question with a shooting buddy of mine.

We shoot out to 600yds with 308 as much we can and feel confortable to hit up to that distance on game.

The trick is that now is say that he will take shoot at à running moose at 400yds if he see one will hunting... with is 308 20inch bull barrel cause groupe wont open on 6 round like à regular hunting barrel will do....

No practice on mouving target at any range with rifle... and no pratice with shotgun at clay target to...

Told him he was crasy to risk that kind of shot at game if he dosent have try it on target first.

I wont event think at a shot like that with my 338win or my 7mm mag...

Running moose at 400yds... Is it me that is to shy?
I can think of no reason to shoot an uninjured animal that's running at that distance. If it's already got holes in it, that changes my opinion but not by a whole lot.
How quickly are you going to accurately range a running animal?
How quickly are you going to get into a stable shooting position?
How will you estimate wind?
How will you calculate/correct for environmentals?
In the mean time the animal has moved 20-30 yards (minimum) which for a 308 going from 400-430 yards is what type of additional drop? 8-10"?
Wind an inch or two difference between 400-430 yards?
Moose vitals ~12"x16"?
Not to mention how far you need to lead it and what kind of terrain that animal will cover while the bullet flies adding all kinds of corrections.
No way, you'll get a bad hit at best.

I try to shoot my hunting rifles at least once a week. Sometimes two or three times a week. Shoot at !00 and 300 yards. Sometimes I would put 120 rounds of the hunting loads through the rifle prior to a hunt. Lots of great three shot groups, but NONE of that practice makes me think I'm capable of taking a killing shot at a running animal. I'm not that good, and I don't want to just injure an animal, and loose it. Of all the things I should never do while hunting, that's among the worse.
I feel that really the only time for a running shot is if the animal is wounded. If it's a varmint. That's a difference story. Even a wounded Varmint should be shot cleaning if possible. Like the man just above this is correct. Go figure, good luck!

I am a guide in Maine and would NEVER allow a client to try that shot! Even hitting a moose in the vitals they can cover a lot of ground. A bad shot and there is He** to pay for yourself and worse for the moose.
Not to even mention just the reverence and respect for the animal as well. I know the paradox, it's crazy that we shoot and kill these animals we love and revere and are in awe of. As good as getting a deer, moose, elk, whatever game you choose feels, there is just always such conflicting emotions that I can never get over….joy and sadness, emotional rollercoaster that is hunting. If I am going to go through that process I can at least give the animal the respect of ensuring I did everything in my power to ensure it didn't suffer. If you are a hunt and are not grateful for the game you hunt and do not feel at least some level of sadness with every kill….well you are probably a sociopath. I don't take any shots if I have any doubts regarding the outcome. This is why we check our zero's and practice folks.

400 yards on any running game animal is like going to Vegas and trying to beat the house. Growing up we did deer drives in East River South Dakota. If you couldn't hit a running deer you didn't fill your tags. The only reason I was proficient at it is that I shot a lot of running rabbits, upland, and waterfowl. The concept is the same - start behind the target, swing through, squeeze the trigger. Is it always perfect? No. It isn't. Some of us were better at it than others. I haven't shot at a running deer in around a decade, as all my hunting is now done from a ground blind with a single shot pistol and a rest, though I can say that I've killed three deer on the run with a single shot pistol as well, all under 150 yards. Most of our rifle shots on running deer with rifles were under 200 yards. One of the farmers I grew up hunting with shot a Remington 760 pump in .30-06 and shot 180 gr. factory ammunition. Iron sights. Before I was old enough to hunt I was his "magazine man". As in, I'd post up with Lester and have two spare magazines loaded and ready to hand to him. That man mowed down deer and antelope at ranges from 50 feet to literally killing four antelope on the run with four shots at 350 yards. I also witnessed him shoot a pheasant rooster on the fly at 75 yards with his .30-06. But he is a severe exception. I wouldn't want him shooting at me at a half mile with his .30-06 and iron sights. If you're calling BS, go ahead. But I've witnessed it with my own two eyes. The last two deer I killed on the run were about 100 yards off, two mule deer running flat out. Two shots, both literally through the heart. Some luck? Yep. But there is a certain measure of skill involved in shooting running game. And it is only gained by doing it. Your friend hasn't done it. And 400 yards out on a moose isn't the place to start trying to learn.