RUM cartridges in a Savage 110 action?

Kroberts

I have an itch to get a heavy recoiling rifle built. But being a college student funds are a little short, especially since I'm still working on putting together a 284 win, just need the barrel and loading equipment. I could have it done by now, but I'm also working on collecting my own reloading equipment so I don't have to keep using my grandpa's. That's eating up the funds a bit. I plan to start putting the big gun together as soon as I finish the 284 which should be soon.

To satisfy the need for recoil, I'm considering putting together a 416 Buff, which for those that don't know is a 375 RUM necked up to 416. I'm not going to use it on a dangerous game hunt so I'm not worried about having a controlled feed action. It will be a play thing. And am wanting to make it as inexpensive as possible and still end up with a quality and good looking rifle. I like savages and know where I can get a Stevens 200 chambered in 7mm rm. My question is, will this action be large enough and strong enough to use on this chambering with minimal modifications? And will I be able to make it into a repeater? The barrel will be mounted without the barrel nut so I can up the barrels diameter. I know I don't NEED a rifle chambered in this, but I want it as a show off toys when we want to show off our big boomers.

Any input appreciated,
Thanks.

Kyle

I have an itch to get a heavy recoiling rifle built. But being a college student funds are a little short, especially since I'm still working on putting together a 284 win, just need the barrel and loading equipment. I could have it done by now, but I'm also working on collecting my own reloading equipment so I don't have to keep using my grandpa's. That's eating up the funds a bit. I plan to start putting the big gun together as soon as I finish the 284 which should be soon.

To satisfy the need for recoil, I'm considering putting together a 416 Buff, which for those that don't know is a 375 RUM necked up to 416. I'm not going to use it on a dangerous game hunt so I'm not worried about having a controlled feed action. It will be a play thing. And am wanting to make it as inexpensive as possible and still end up with a quality and good looking rifle. I like savages and know where I can get a Stevens 200 chambered in 7mm rm. My question is, will this action be large enough and strong enough to use on this chambering with minimal modifications? And will I be able to make it into a repeater? The barrel will be mounted without the barrel nut so I can up the barrels diameter. I know I don't NEED a rifle chambered in this, but I want it as a show off toys when we want to show off our big boomers.

Any input appreciated,
Thanks.

Kyle

The answer to all your questions, Yes it will work. I am the person that designed it and can give you lots of information on the Buff if you need it.

It was designed for a magnum bolt face, long action (Rem, Savage, Etc) and using 350 to 400 grain bullets bolt loading is safe in these actions.

Feel free to PM me.

PS: hear is a thread with the buff information (Go down around 18 threads and you will see 416 Buff). http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2536442

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks a bunch for the link J E. That was extremely helpful and one beautiful rifle. The only thing I didn't see, or maybe just didn't notice was what dies were you using? Which would you suggest using. I've looked around a little bit and and debating having Lee make a custom set when it comes time for them. I just got to give them a call to see if they can make them and if they would be the large or small series. And using their universal expander die with a 416 Remington expander pin to neck up the 375 brass to the 416. What do you think?

Kyle

Thanks a bunch for the link J E. That was extremely helpful and one beautiful rifle. The only thing I didn't see, or maybe just didn't notice was what dies were you using? Which would you suggest using. I've looked around a little bit and and debating having Lee make a custom set when it comes time for them. I just got to give them a call to see if they can make them and if they would be the large or small series. And using their universal expander die with a 416 Remington expander pin to neck up the 375 brass to the 416. What do you think?

Kyle

I had Hornady build 2 sets of New dimension dies and they worked great. I re-sized 200 rounds of 375 rum brass to 416 and didn't lose one case.
the Hornady dies have a expander ball that looks like a foot ball and does a great job on the necks.

Hornady should still have the reamer print and the case dimensions. they also have my permission to build more dies if someone needs them. If you call Hornady, talk to Ben Syring and he should be able to help you.

Outlaw6 = it shot the best group I have ever shot (.054 thousandths 3 shot group with a 400 grain
barns solid @ 2647 ft/sec velocity.

J E CUSTOM

That helps a bunch, thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow, that makes finding dies much easier. That is one impressively accurate rifle and shooting. I don't see how you can be that steady with that amount of recoil.

Kyle

That helps a bunch, thanks. I'll give them a call tomorrow, that makes finding dies much easier. That is one impressively accurate rifle and shooting. I don't see how you can be that steady with that amount of recoil.

Kyle

One other thing, Manson made the reamer and also has my permission to duplicate it if you need a reamer.

Others can make it if you have a favorite reamer. (It is basically a 375 rum necked up to 416, with the same free bore as the 375.

If Hornady doesn't still have the spec. sheet, you may have to do the reamer first and furnish the die maker of your choice with the reamer drawing and some fired cases.

In the meantime I will look for my reamer drawings.

J E CUSTOM

You will definitely get your recoil fix with this cartridge. I load 340 cebs and 400 grain a-frames for mine and without the brake it will work you over. With the brake it still is pretty stiff but manageable. If I do my part the 340s will shoot 1/4 moa regularly and the a frames 3/4 moa. I built mine as a guide gun when chasing big coastal bears, but have yet to pull the trigger on one. Although I did shoot a nice caribou with it in September.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.