Ruger Switch Barrel

idcwby

Has anyone done a switch barrel on a Ruger M77? Wondering if it is possible and/or easily done?

Not exactly what you are asking. I have a Ruger M77 with two barrels.
Both are sporter weight tapered barrels. They can't come off without removing the stock from the barreled action. If you use a straight diameter barrel then you should be able to unscrew the barrel with action left in the stock. The action has an integral recoil lug so no alignment of lug is necessary.

I was thinking something similar to the how the Remington and Savages have the nut To allow barrel change easy.

Bugholes just cut me a barrel for my M77 Mark ii and I used their bugnut to mount it. Sounds like that's what you're looking for.

Attachments

• 21BB915B-36E2-4F7A-84D8-93DC79C92F02.jpeg
    21BB915B-36E2-4F7A-84D8-93DC79C92F02.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 90
You don't need a nut, just do a shouldered barrel and true the action face so the barrel and action are timed. Then you can use numerous barrels if need be.
Good thing about Rugers are the integral scope mounts.
Yes, you will have to remove the stock before taking barrels off.
Rugers are simple to machine up for a switch barrel set-up.

Cheers.

Agreed shouldered look better....But can you get a shouldered barrel threaded, chambered and crowned for 180 bucks? Oh, and not having to deal with an FFL if you want to use a long distance Smith? Main reason I went with a nut. FFLs in CA require a kidney just to get your guns out of purgatory.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.