Ruger Predator 6.5 Creedmoor

Waynard

Anybody use one of these Ruger Predator in the 6.5 Creedmoor? If so, any reloading or accuracy info. would be appreciated. Thinking about getting one.

Mine shoots 1/2 Moa or under with my handloads. Thats with the 140 a-max, 123 a-max, and the 100 a-max. Trying the berger 130 vlds and they show promise.

Me too. Don't have a Ruger Predator in Creedmoor but all the reviews I have read are very positive for that caliber in that rifle. Was thinking of getting one also since I reload for the CM.

Creedmoor Shooter. What powder are you using with the Amax?

Me too. Don't have a Ruger Predator in Creedmoor but all the reviews I have read are very positive for that caliber in that rifle. Was thinking of getting one also since I reload for the CM.

Creedmoor Shooter. What powder are you using with the Amax?

For the 140 I use rl-17 launching it at 2880 fps, the 123 with h4350, and with the 100 i use imr 4895

Thanks for the info,on my way to the gun dealer to pick one up. Also have a good supply of R17 powder so its good to know the 6.5 cm likes the R17 powder.

I don't put too much trust in manufacturer listed specs. Ruger lists the rifle at 8.12 pounds, would you say this is pretty close? How does it balance offhand? It seems like the laminate stock may keep it from getting too front heavy.

I just bought one because it looked so good. Great feeling bolt (like a Sako). Modified the trigger down to about a pound. May cut another bit off the spring. Got looking at scopes and after 3 attempts found the Burris Fulfield Ballistic Plex E1 6.5-20x50 a great match and low mounting height. I used the $19 Leupold aluminum rings and the scope clears the barrel nicely about .06".

Photos of my rifle are seen here http://24.172.105.90/z/Predator.jpg I'll be shooting the 140grain Nosler target bullet atop some 4350. Seems like that is the magic load. Will try some lighter bullets as well. But I have a pile of the 140's as I shoot the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

Looking forward to taking this rifle for a spin when the rain stops, and I get a chance to load up a few rounds.

Dave

My model 11 LWH with a pencil thin 20" bbl will shoot .5 MOA consistently with factory & handloads. I'm sure that Predator has a lot of potential...

Haven't bought any "NEW" calibers ever. My experience is with the family of cartridges that have been around for 50 or more years. Some far longer. I am somewhat amazed by the interest in the 6.5 Creedmoor as the 6.5 Swedish Mauser will do about everything it will and more. I have a few m96's in my collection and enjoy their mild recoil and accuracy. Amazing for a rifle that is over 100 years old. Good steel, and proper care have brought me these 3 out of 6 or more that I bought and flipped because they were not what I wanted.

The fact that the 6.5 Creedmoor was a 22-250 case necked up to 6.5 was a surprise. I hadn't read that much about it. But having such fun with the m96's and reading about the accuracy... I couldn't help but order one when the opportunity presented itself.

I am not a Scope snob, but appreciate good optics and although I would have liked to have a Schmidt Bender, or a Zeiss or Leupold, or other top name product I just couldn't in good conscience spend that kind of money. I have too many rifles needing scopes. I have come up with a way to share scopes on Sako rifles from the 222 up to 7mm Mag. It takes some bore sighting at the time of change, and of course some adjustment. But this Predator called for a scope appropriate for the cartridge's capabilities even though I'll not likely fire it beyond 250 yards. The Burris optics are well rated for clarity and I believe I did the right thing... A day at the range is coming up and will be interesting.

The Predator has a 1:8 twist, not sure what bullet weight will be optimum for that out of the cartridge. I'm guessing at 2650 fps for the 140's... your comments would be appreciated.

I have one, love it!!! Really easy to get to shoot. I'm right around .3 Moa with 140 ELDs and IMR 4350. I topped it with a 10x42 SWFA SS, and am currently waiting for Boyds stocks to get caught up and get my stock made. Going to put it in a ProVarmint.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts