Ruger Precision Rimfire @ 300 Yards

After a few decades, I am glad to see others, and the arms companies, catching on to extreme 22LR shooting and training for longer range HP shooting. Back in the 80's we trained and practiced for Palma and 1,000 yd prone shooting by using Remington 513T's wearing either 24x or 6-24x target scopes with special made bases and shot at 3-400yds. It was a blast, much cheaper and allowed more practice than burning lots of 7.62/308 match ammo. It also let us use shorter ranges or open fields instead of driving to the 1,000yd comp range.

Learning to read wind, mirage, temp, barometric, etc changes is critical with a 22LR, and when switching over to bigger bores, we saw our scores improve nicely. It was and is a great way to involve younger shooters and get them interested in LR shooting.

Another fun weekend is to set up 1/5 scale 22 Silhouettes beginning at 100yds to 200yds and have a friendly bipod comp with a few friends, or as we often did until just a few years ago, use the 3/8 scale Field Pistol swingers set 200 to 300yds and go prone and/or bipod. Other challenges are rows of orange clays held on a 2x4 board, etc, etc.

While it may not have the sexy appeal of 1,000yds ++, the effects are similar, and sometimes tougher, but the experience and training is priceless.

Glad to see that other people enjoy it too. Wasn't to many years ago that people thought I was full of it if I ever mentioned hitting at 300 yards with one. I still remember the shock on people s faces when I rattled off 10 rounds out of my 10-22 as fast as I could and came back with 100 yard target with 10 holes grouped the size of my fist.- That was over 20 years ago!

After a few decades, I am glad to see others, and the arms companies, catching on to extreme 22LR shooting and training for longer range HP shooting. Back in the 80's we trained and practiced for Palma and 1,000 yd prone shooting by using Remington 513T's wearing either 24x or 6-24x target scopes with special made bases and shot at 3-400yds. It was a blast, much cheaper and allowed more practice than burning lots of 7.62/308 match ammo. It also let us use shorter ranges or open fields instead of driving to the 1,000yd comp range.

Learning to read wind, mirage, temp, barometric, etc changes is critical with a 22LR, and when switching over to bigger bores, we saw our scores improve nicely. It was and is a great way to involve younger shooters and get them interested in LR shooting.

Another fun weekend is to set up 1/5 scale 22 Silhouettes beginning at 100yds to 200yds and have a friendly bipod comp with a few friends, or as we often did until just a few years ago, use the 3/8 scale Field Pistol swingers set 200 to 300yds and go prone and/or bipod. Other challenges are rows of orange clays held on a 2x4 board, etc, etc.

While it may not have the sexy appeal of 1,000yds ++, the effects are similar, and sometimes tougher, but the experience and training is priceless.
You are right, and it is a ton of fun while learning about wind and ballistics.

Glad to see that other people enjoy it too. Wasn't to many years ago that people thought I was full of it if I ever mentioned hitting at 300 yards with one. I still remember the shock on people s faces when I rattled off 10 rounds out of my 10-22 as fast as I could and came back with 100 yard target with 10 holes grouped the size of my fist.- That was over 20 years ago!
That's right, people still look at me funny when they see what we are doing.

I just picked up a CZ457 American in a 22LR and been testing out about 20 different ammo at 50 yards. Found a few decent ones, but when I take them out to 100 yards, it's like ****ing in the wind... I cant even imagine 300, let alone 500 with a 22LR. Crazy...These are 20 shot groups at 50 yards from a bench with front/rear bags. Nikon 4-12x Rimfire.
Snapchat-826540618.jpg

I just picked up a CZ457 American in a 22LR and been testing out about 20 different ammo at 50 yards. Found a few decent ones, but when I take them out to 100 yards, it's like ****ing in the wind... I cant even imagine 300, let alone 500 with a 22LR. Crazy...These are 20 shot groups at 50 yards from a bench with front/rear bags. Nikon 4-12x Rimfire.View attachment 198143
Good to know, thanks for the info.

What's the trick to keeping a decent size group at even a 100 yards with a 22? Shot a 5 shot group yesterday at 100 yards and it was like 3"... Shot .5" at 50...Not sure how I feel about the CZs accuracy honestly. I thought it would do much better.

What's the trick to keeping a decent size group at even a 100 yards with a 22? Shot a 5 shot group yesterday at 100 yards and it was like 3"... Shot .5" at 50...Not sure how I feel about the CZs accuracy honestly. I thought it would do much better.
I have several rim fires and I had to do bedding jobs, free floating etc. on all of them to get them To shoot the way I wanted. Just like other precision rifles only smaller!

Clean ur bore good then shoot some, barrel needs a little breaking in but it'll come arohnd

Some ammo will not shoot both 50yds and 100yds well?...
-Make sure the action screws, scope base & rings are still tight.
-Parallax could be off?...
-Wind might be throwing you off.
-Watch the cant of your rifle to make sure you repeat that every time the exact same way.
That's what helps most people, hopefully it'll help you.

2020-06-07 12.32.31.jpg

I shot a local match last weekend. This was the steel "Bear" that was hung @ 300 yds. I have never run a drop chart on the SK Flatnose Match I was using so 3/10 was average. I am pretty sure I had 42 mins in the gun and 3 of wind. We also shot chickens/Pigs/Turkeys/Rams @ 50/100/150/200. Great fun and really learned a bunch about how to handle the gun from the prone over a bad bag. I may try the CZ 455 in a set of crossed sticks from the sitting position. I get bored with prone and the grass is already an issue from the ground. Im enjoying what you guys are doing, Ive got a lot to practice.......

Was out at the rock pit month ago..or so....clay pigeonon the hillside behind my 65284 target.....between round of the 65 the 7722 took to the air time.....
Took all my elevation(40moa or so) and 7/8 of my optic for elevation....and about 15 feet of horizontal....
Hit the clay I maybe recall 20 shots.........475yds.....that was fun.....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.