Ruger Precision Rifle

Losi b

I am searching for a rifle to get into long range target shooting. What are y'alls opinions on the Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor as a first step into long range shooting?

I don't shoot a RPR, but do have some opinions on LR rifle setups. The RPR is proving to be very popular. And probably for good reasons as the accuracy is supposed to be quite good. The RPR will always be somewhat of a target rifle though, due to it's weight and bulk. It is also restricted to short action non magnum calibers that are normally not used for LR hunting.

A very important aspect of a LR rifle setup is how it fits you and your preferences and shooting style. The RPR has a classic AR15 stock style with a pistol grip. That stock style is not always good for LR shooting as some shooters cannot get the consistent and precise grip needed on a pistol grip stock for good LR shooting. I am one of those folks. Probably due to the fact that I didn't grow up shooting AR15 style rifles. For me a more traditional stock with a grip contoured for LR shooting is best.

A traditional stock allows a more consistent grip and also a more relaxed grip without too much muscle stress and a natural place to rest one's thumb. This is all important in LR shooting. Take a look at a F-Class match sometime, and notice how many shooters are using a pistol grip. There will probably be zero. Now look at a precision rifle match and you will see many more pistol grips in use. This is probably due to the need to control the rifle while running around and shooting from precarious positions, not for enhanced accuracy. What is important, is that you are comfortable with the style of stock that you choose. If you shoot AR15s and love the grip, the RPR would be perfect for you. If not the pistol grip will never be comfortable shooting LR.

The RPR is pretty much made to shoot from a bipod. It probably does not shoot from shooting bags very well due to the round barrel shroud. Notice a rifle designed for LR shooting and will notice the more flattened forearm. This is designed to allow the rifle to rest on shooting bags without canting easily during recoil. When you are working up loads and practicing LR shooting and trying to get that extra bit of accuracy out of the rifle, you will probably be better off using shooting bags rather than a bipod. With the RPR you are pretty much stuck on the bipod. I think they do make some sort of attachment for it now with a flat bottom though.

Hunting - The PRP is currently only offered in short action non magnum calibers. Who knows if Ruger will ever offer something like a 300 WSM for effective LR big game hunting. So if you ever venture into LR big game hunting the RPR will quickly lose its appeal.

Savage makes a rifle marked for LR target shooting that competes with the RPR. It has actually been on the market for several years and is a proven performer. It's the Savage Long Range Precision (LRP). IMO it has some advantages over the PRP - It has a traditional stock that is designed for LR shooting with a good vertical grip and wide forearm for riding bags. It can also be easily shot offhand too. With the Savage LRP you can easily change out the barrel and bolt face and make it a 300 WSM for true LR hunting capability. You cannot do this with the PRP.

So in summary, the RPR is a great rifle if you prefer pistol grips and never plan on converting it to a more powerful LR hunting rifle. IMO, you should also take a look at the Savage LRP.

One more thing - triggers- IMO opinion the Savage has the better trigger. The Ruger is a copy of the Savage trigger. The Savage trigger though can be adjusted down to about 6 ounces. The RPR trigger only goes down to about 2.5 lbs. A light trigger can be wonderful for LR target shooting.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is proving to be the perfect cartridge for rifles like the RPR and Savage LRP. This is all due to the excellent support provided by Hornady. The match ammo for it is excellent and not too expensive.

I shoot the Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, in case you couldn't tell. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
My inlaw bought one of the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor I spent around an hour or so and had handloads shooting 3/8" at 100 yards they GTG in my opinion. They take AR components if you really wanted to change anything the folding butt stock is nice the handguard in also a quality one no real reason to change anything. I would put a good quality brake on the gun to make spotting your own shots easier. Precision Armament makes some very good ones. With 140gr bullets you should be able to get to around 1400 yards 1000 should be easy it's a much better long rang round than 308.

If your not set on the creedmoor chambering, and want the RPR. I would take a hard look at the 243.

run the numbers in a ballistic app and you will see the 243 shooting 105 bergers isn't far behind the creedmoor.

I had the RPR in 243 and really enjoyed it, low recoil (like a 223 shooting 55gr) with no brake, I found it shot 105's very well.

good luck on your search, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 chamberings the RPR currently is offered in.

That's a lot of great information. Thank you all, I really appreciate it. I went ahead and bought a RPR in 6.5 CM. Now I need to get it to a range thats longer than 100 yards.

IMHO, the 6.5 Creedmore will give you a fine 1000 yard cartridge for match shooting and a good 600 yard deer cartridge. I am sure somebody will tell you they have taken Elk with it (6.5 x 55 has been used to kill a lot of game over the years). I have a .260 Rem for 1000 yard fun matches, another .260 Rem in a model 700 mountain rifle that I will never part with for white tail up to 400 yards (most at well under that). I love the 6.5s for what they do.

I also have a 300 rum with a 29" finished length Hawk hills 7mu barrel with a muscle brake that will deliver good terminal ballistics on meat at 700 yards plus. If you are entering into long range shooting, then, your planned entry will work. When you are considering long range hunting, look to the terminal ballistics of the bullet you are shooting at the distance where the kill will happen. That will point you to your hunting caliber.

I am 66 years old, so, I will defer to the young turks that are truly on the cutting edge and can handle far more than I am willing to handle. Welcome and have fun.

This is my 2 cents worth.
rch

I've got a RPR in 6.5CM and I am very impressed with it. It is extremely accurate and an excellent rifle for the price.

I've read several comments from individuals on a number of internet pages and FB about the RPR being the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think that a lot of people expect to buy a RPR and immediately compete in 1,000 yard competitions. While they are extremely accurate, keep in mind that they are mass produced rifles and people do get lemons. Yes - they are an incredible value, but are they built with the same craftsmanship as custom made bench rest rifles? Probably not.

I hope you enjoy your 6.5!

I own a RPR in 6.5 Creddmoor, excellent rifle! Very accurate, a lot of adjustment in the stock, barrel comes off like an AR, the trigger is excellent, so far, i had a Savage model 10 in 300 WSM, nice rifle, i hit the throat with too much Reloder 17 and shot the barrel out, fun while it lasted! The Accu Trigger was ok, didn't last, i would give the Ruger a try.

New on the site and found this old thread. For anyone reading I love my RPR in 6.5 Creed.
It is fun to shoot and accurate. Looking forward to having more time with the rifle.

I purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM when it was introduced, with the intention jumping into the PRS sport. With well over 1000 rounds fired, this rifle continues to be exceptionally accurate whether using the Hornady ElD hunting/Match, or handloads. There are several shooters at our matches that have similar experiences with this rifle, that is fully capable of winning matches. Subjected to match use you can expect the barrel to last 2000-2500 rounds. While the trigger and buttstock was fine, it was easy enough to install a Timney 1.5# trigger, and any one of the numerous AR style butt sticks available. It should be kept in mind that depending on the type of scope used, this rifle is fairly heavy, 14+ pounds. As an entry to long range shooting, or a desire to get into the PRS game, IMO, it is an excellent starting point. If hunting was on the menu, the heavy weight and bulky geometry could be concern. Shown: Factory Hornady ELD-M, and 142SMK handload, both 200 yards.
8D613035-05DF-465A-97D9-309548570F9E.jpeg 594BAB7C-2171-4224-B94C-7C9EEE08FCD3.jpeg

Last edited:
I purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM when it was introduced, with the intention jumping into the PRS sport. With well over 1000 rounds fired, this rifle continues to be exceptionally accurate whether using the Hornady ElD hunting/Match, or handloads. There are several shooters at our matches that have similar experiences with this rifle, that is fully capable of winning matches. Subjected to match use you can expect the barrel to last 2000-2500 rounds. While the trigger and buttstock was fine, it was easy enough to install a Timney 1.5# trigger, and any one of the numerous AR style butt sticks available. It should be kept in mind that depending on the type of scope used, this rifle is fairly heavy, 14+ pounds. As an entry to long range shooting, or a desire to get into the PRS game a desire, IMO, it is an excellent starting point. If hunting was on the menu, the heavy weight and bulky geometry could be concern. Shown: Factory Hornady ELD-M, and 142SMK handload, both 200 yards.
View attachment 109094 View attachment 109095
Good Coyote gun also if you don't have to hike too far.

while i'm not new into longrange shooting the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM are nice upgrades are easy and after market support is excellent.Other upgrades might be on your wishlist once you start shooting

I don't shoot a RPR, but do have some opinions on LR rifle setups. The RPR is proving to be very popular. And probably for good reasons as the accuracy is supposed to be quite good. The RPR will always be somewhat of a target rifle though, due to it's weight and bulk. It is also restricted to short action non magnum calibers that are normally not used for LR hunting.

A very important aspect of a LR rifle setup is how it fits you and your preferences and shooting style. The RPR has a classic AR15 stock style with a pistol grip. That stock style is not always good for LR shooting as some shooters cannot get the consistent and precise grip needed on a pistol grip stock for good LR shooting. I am one of those folks. Probably due to the fact that I didn't grow up shooting AR15 style rifles. For me a more traditional stock with a grip contoured for LR shooting is best.

A traditional stock allows a more consistent grip and also a more relaxed grip without too much muscle stress and a natural place to rest one's thumb. This is all important in LR shooting. Take a look at a F-Class match sometime, and notice how many shooters are using a pistol grip. There will probably be zero. Now look at a precision rifle match and you will see many more pistol grips in use. This is probably due to the need to control the rifle while running around and shooting from precarious positions, not for enhanced accuracy. What is important, is that you are comfortable with the style of stock that you choose. If you shoot AR15s and love the grip, the RPR would be perfect for you. If not the pistol grip will never be comfortable shooting LR.

The RPR is pretty much made to shoot from a bipod. It probably does not shoot from shooting bags very well due to the round barrel shroud. Notice a rifle designed for LR shooting and will notice the more flattened forearm. This is designed to allow the rifle to rest on shooting bags without canting easily during recoil. When you are working up loads and practicing LR shooting and trying to get that extra bit of accuracy out of the rifle, you will probably be better off using shooting bags rather than a bipod. With the RPR you are pretty much stuck on the bipod. I think they do make some sort of attachment for it now with a flat bottom though.

Hunting - The PRP is currently only offered in short action non magnum calibers. Who knows if Ruger will ever offer something like a 300 WSM for effective LR big game hunting. So if you ever venture into LR big game hunting the RPR will quickly lose its appeal.

Savage makes a rifle marked for LR target shooting that competes with the RPR. It has actually been on the market for several years and is a proven performer. It's the Savage Long Range Precision (LRP). IMO it has some advantages over the PRP - It has a traditional stock that is designed for LR shooting with a good vertical grip and wide forearm for riding bags. It can also be easily shot offhand too. With the Savage LRP you can easily change out the barrel and bolt face and make it a 300 WSM for true LR hunting capability. You cannot do this with the PRP.

So in summary, the RPR is a great rifle if you prefer pistol grips and never plan on converting it to a more powerful LR hunting rifle. IMO, you should also take a look at the Savage LRP.

One more thing - triggers- IMO opinion the Savage has the better trigger. The Ruger is a copy of the Savage trigger. The Savage trigger though can be adjusted down to about 6 ounces. The RPR trigger only goes down to about 2.5 lbs. A light trigger can be wonderful for LR target shooting.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is proving to be the perfect cartridge for rifles like the RPR and Savage LRP. This is all due to the excellent support provided by Hornady. The match ammo for it is excellent and not too expensive.

I shoot the Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, in case you couldn't tell. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for this feedback. I have been looking for this type of information.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.