Ruger Precision rechamber?

specter29

Trying to see if anyone else has input with more experience on the rifle and the caliber to see if this would work. What I'm looking at doing is rechambering the Ruger precision to a 300 WSM and using the 190-215gr Berger's. From reading on another forum the AICS mags look to have roughly a 2.9" internal length. Thank you in advance for any input.

I have a RPR .308 20". Only shot a little. Got it from a member.

One very very important thing to look at: Why is there no magnum American or Precision?

The Ruger American/Precision has a 1" barrel shank, with a ~.94 minor diameter.

With a SAMMI chamber major diameter of .5563 there will be thin metal for a magnum around the chamber to contain the ~65kpsi.

.94 - .5563 = 0.3837
0.3837 / 2 = 0.19185

Compare that to a "standard" barrel shank with a 1 1/16 barrel shank with a .98 minor diameter.

.98 - .5563 = .4237
.4237 / 2 = .21185

.21185 - .19185 = .020 more metal around the chamber. In reality this is probably more like .030 ....

Yes there is a possibility I have my dimensions wrong. Ive not made these threads and I'm not don't with my coffee. I went off a thread chart. If you know more/better don't bitch, fix it.

Doesn't sound like much but Ruger chose not to make a magnum (yet).

So here's the work list:
Get new magazine(s)
Open the bolt fact to Magnum
Make a new extractor - cant buy one.
Pull the barrel
Rechamber
Reinstall

I probably missed stuff.

Total cost say $150 to $500.

What do you get for it?

Trying to see if anyone else has input with more experience on the rifle and the caliber to see if this would work. What I'm looking at doing is rechambering the Ruger precision to a 300 WSM and using the 190-215gr Berger's. From reading on another forum the AICS mags look to have roughly a 2.9" internal length. Thank you in advance for any input.

If possible I would rechamber with an aftermarket barrel

When you use an aftermarket barrel that is known as "re-barreling". Re-chambering refers to using a barrel already chambered for a cartridge and "re-chambering" it either to another caliber or setting the barrel back and using a reamer to "re-chamber" it to the original chambering.

They may have 2.9" length but I don't see how the WSM case will feed in a 308 clip.

when optics were allowed in highpower I bought a ruger precision rifle because I am not brand new and seeing at the 600yd line with irons was causing problems and magasine feeding my pre-64 m70 for rapid fire was problematic so I bought a ruger precision then put my 260 reamer in the factory 6.5 creedmore barrel because I didn't want to have to buy brass and a new reamer and learn new loads for a new caliber however the creedmore has less taper than the 260 and didn't clean up the chamber so I put my 6.5x284 reamer in the factory barrel instead and it worked well and shoots quite well just wish the factory barrel was 26 inches long. also took a m-14 magasine and cut the front out where the tips of the bullets were so I could load a little longer and bent the lips out a bit so it would feed. it seems to work well and I think these rifles are very well thought out and work very well and are economical to purchase allowing for more bullets to be purchased and shot