Ruger Number One at 300 yds

Guy M

Recently put a lightly used 3.5-10x Leupold on Brandy, the 20 year old Ruger 1-S Medium Sporter I purchased last winter. Also had some 160 grain handloads to try at the range.

Dog and I put the rifle in the Jeep and headed to the gun club for some shooting! Sighted the rifle in at 25 yards, then switched to the 300 yard gong. At 300 yards the first shot was low, so I dialed in a fair bit of elevation. Second shot looked decent for elevation, but was left, so I did some twisting on the windage knob. Then three shots into 1.5" at 300 yards from the bench.

I was pleased. The 160 Sierra Gamekings are doing 3025 fps with the 65 grain charge, and shooting very nicely. I may still swap to 160 grain Nosler Partitions, but honestly I'm quite satisfied with the load. I've used this load, or loads very similar to it a lot in the past with other 7mm Rem Mag rifles. This rifle is likely to see use in Washington and Wyoming for mule deer, pronghorn and hopefully black bear.

ddDEKJ0h.jpg

b34rzXqh.jpg

4uUomE2h.jpg

seYuBWsh.jpg

XYu6WbZh.jpg

eV8PDpbh.jpg

I think Brandy is ready to hunt.

Oh, "Brandy" got her name because of what I was sipping when I found her on GunBroker last winter. :) A 20 year old Ruger that had one box of ammo put through it, then cleaned and was stashed in a gun safe for 20 years. I've never regretted the purchase.

Guy

Looks great!! I have had three or four of these rifles that shot very well like this one. You'll love it!!

Ya, silly me... Over the years I bought and sold several great Number One rifles, including one Varminter in 25-06 that steadily shot 100 gr Sierras into .2's and .3's at 100 yards and over 3,300 fps... Why did I sell that rifle? I dunno. :(

And I've got a 375 H&H "Tropical" that has become known as "Dad's bear rifle" after three black bear from 15 feet to 306 yards. :) It's a good one.

lK446TCl.jpg

Guy

Yep. I have parted with 3 excellent shooting ones in the last year too..😢 Why?? I guess I'm just not too bright....will play hell if I ever wanna replace them....traded them off for SS, Synthetic stocked bolt gun(s)..☹️

I have hankered for one of the fancy wooded versions for years.
Never found one, unfortunately.
There is a commemorative one from a couple of years ago in my local gun shop, really fancy wood, but it's chambered in 308Win...not my favourite.

Cheers.

Good rifle, load & shooting.
I also like the 'berm" at your club's range.

I have hankered for one of the fancy wooded versions for years.
Never found one, unfortunately.
There is a commemorative one from a couple of years ago in my local gun shop, really fancy wood, but it's chambered in 308Win...not my favourite.

Cheers.

You buy the 308. Then you buy what you want. Swap the wood, sell the 308 --- good to go. You might "lose" 50 bucks.

My 450-400 with wood off an early 30-06 red pad.

450-400.jpg

Recently put a lightly used 3.5-10x Leupold on Brandy, the 20 year old Ruger 1-S Medium Sporter I purchased last winter. Also had some 160 grain handloads to try at the range.

Dog and I put the rifle in the Jeep and headed to the gun club for some shooting! Sighted the rifle in at 25 yards, then switched to the 300 yard gong. At 300 yards the first shot was low, so I dialed in a fair bit of elevation. Second shot looked decent for elevation, but was left, so I did some twisting on the windage knob. Then three shots into 1.5" at 300 yards from the bench.

I was pleased. The 160 Sierra Gamekings are doing 3025 fps with the 65 grain charge, and shooting very nicely. I may still swap to 160 grain Nosler Partitions, but honestly I'm quite satisfied with the load. I've used this load, or loads very similar to it a lot in the past with other 7mm Rem Mag rifles. This rifle is likely to see use in Washington and Wyoming for mule deer, pronghorn and hopefully black bear.

ddDEKJ0h.jpg

b34rzXqh.jpg

4uUomE2h.jpg

seYuBWsh.jpg

XYu6WbZh.jpg

eV8PDpbh.jpg

I think Brandy is ready to hunt.

Oh, "Brandy" got her name because of what I was sipping when I found her on GunBroker last winter. :) A 20 year old Ruger that had one box of ammo put through it, then cleaned and was stashed in a gun safe for 20 years. I've never regretted the purchase.

Guy
Really nice! Good luck and good hunting

I have liked the looks of the #1 from the day I first saw it. Wanted my own -- had to have one, so finally found one in a Montana gun shop about 45 years ago in .22-250 and laid my money down.

It is still a beautiful looking rifle, but I have never been able to get it to shoot less than about 1.5", so it stays in the back of the safe. Knowing what I now know about reloading for accuracy, I should pull it out and see if I can tighten the groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.