Ruger No. 1

Would I be setting myself up for a world of hurt and frustration if I got a ruger no 1 to hunt with? If I'm wanting to be able to hunt out to 400-500yds, I really like the guns, but I don't want to set myself up for failure. I handload and I'm thinking 30-06 for a chambering.
I love the #1 as it's such an elegant design and a pleasure to shoot (except the 458 win mag). I'm looking for a 1A in 7x57 (virtually same ballistics as a 7mm-08) now for a tree stand rifle. But it does depend. I had an International in 30-06 that couldn't keep all shots on a pie plate at 100 yards. Most frustrating rifle I've ever owned. And I had a 1B in 300 Weatherby that was a 500 yard rifle. Regret selling it to this day. One of the beauties of the #1 is that you can have a 26" barreled #1 at about the same overall length as a 22" barreled Rem 700.

Having owned 20+ No. 1s, I can assure you that any No. 1 can be tuned to shoot 1 moa.

No aftermkt gizmos, just proper bedding of the for end and working up the proper load.

No. 1 B 270 WCF 100 yds, Federal Premium ammo

IMG_4006.jpeg

Would I be setting myself up for a world of hurt and frustration if I got a ruger no 1 to hunt with? If I'm wanting to be able to hunt out to 400-500yds, I really like the guns, but I don't want to set myself up for failure. I handload and I'm thinking 30-06 for a chambering.
Not much room to fail with a #1 out to 500. Always loved the #1.

I love the #1's, 280 Remington, 30-06 & 35 Whelan in A's and a 257 Robert Ackley in B model. All do me a minute, two have Hicks accurizer and one shop made with set screw on hanger. The shop made one is on the "B" will give me 1/2" groups!

I have one that started life as a 7mm mag. I had it rebarreled with a shillen barrel in 7 STW, swapped the trigger for a Jarred, installed a hicks accurizer, added muzzle brake, and bedded the stock to the action. It is every bit as accurate as most of my custom guns when I custom load. I would not part with it for the world.

So I have a #1 in 2506 Beautiful rifle with laminate stock. I was about to give up on it until I saw this thread. 3/4 to 1 inch horizontal spread with 2 to 3 inch vertical using 3 different factory loads. Ive got a hicks device but haven't installed it. After reading the posts I wonder, Could this be ammo related. I do reload but when I got this rifle it came with several boxes of ammo and I have not tried to develop a load.

Great question. I have also always like the idea of a N. 1. Set up for long range but have heard quite often that the way the stock is (two piece) it is not as accurate as most bolt action guns.
Any thoughts on that?
I think bolt guns have an edge, but it comes down to how much accuracy you need.

Look at some of the bolt rifles pictured here, and give the #1 the same chance for success. Better stocks, better barrels, better trigger, and better loads, will achieve half inch accuracy, some better. Certainly good enough for LRH.

I have a #1 in 308 and a #3 in 223. Bearing in mind I'm 76 with less than perfect eyesight I reckon to get 3 shots from either rifle in a group of less than 1" at 100 meters, I shoot off of either bipods or sticks. At my age I could swap both for a zimmer frame which is bound to be steadier 😁.
I shoot either 150 grn bt at about 2900 fps or 165 grn speer btsp at around 2750 fps from the 308, it has a 26" barrel. I use barnes 50 grn varmint grenades at around 3200 fps out of the 223 which has a 22" barrel. Powder of choice is hodgdons CFE 223 for both rifles.
I had a texas brain shot on a fox with the 308 with 165 btsp at around 230 meters exited under his left shoulder with a large exit hole and the 223 is good for head shots on rabbits out to around 200 meters I haven't tried any further as yet.
I have a bunch of barnes tsx 130 grn bullets to try in the 308 but we're locked down right now.
Because I have a heart condition, deerhunting is a no-no at the moment as I don't want to try toting them out on my own.
My older brother is coming over from Wa when the travel restriction ends so we might get out to my lease for a week then if the season is right.

Attachments

• #1.JPG
    #1.JPG
    537.8 KB · Views: 121
  • ruger #3.JPG
    ruger #3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
So I have a #1 in 2506 Beautiful rifle with laminate stock. I was about to give up on it until I saw this thread. 3/4 to 1 inch horizontal spread with 2 to 3 inch vertical using 3 different factory loads. Ive got a hicks device but haven't installed it. After reading the posts I wonder, Could this be ammo related. I do reload but when I got this rifle it came with several boxes of ammo and I have not tried to develop a load.
I also have a no 1 in 25-06, but mine's a no 1AH. I floated the forearm, then bedded it with pro-bed 2000. I think the most important thing with shooting groups with the no 1 is to rest the rifle on the bags as close to the receiver as possible, and in the same exact place every time. I also have a hicks accurizer as well, but mine is still in the package. I get no horizontal dispersion at all from mine, and once in a while it will group 100 gr swift a-frames in 3/4", but more often than not, I get 1 1/4ish" groups, with the first shot at the top end with the next 2 below it. I'm at the point where I just figure it is what it is, and live with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.