Ruger M77 Model R custom build?

sheepdawg

I have an old M77 tang safety sitting around in .338 WM and I have thought about taking it to my gunsmith to put a new hart barrel on it, truing the action, lightening the trigger, and putting a McMillan stock on it. But I question my thinking on it. Are Ruger m77s worth dumping money into and using as the base of a custom build or should I just sell it cheap and buy a new Winchester M70 stainless extreme in the same caliber and call it good? Is it going to be like putting lipstick on a pig? What are your thoughts?

I have an old M77 tang safety sitting around in .338 WM and I have thought about taking it to my gunsmith to put a new hart barrel on it, truing the action, lightening the trigger, and putting a McMillan stock on it. But I question my thinking on it. Are Ruger m77s worth dumping money into and using as the base of a custom build or should I just sell it cheap and buy a new Winchester M70 stainless extreme in the same caliber and call it good? Is it going to be like putting lipstick on a pig? What are your thoughts?
I think it would shoot very well doing what you suggest. They are a little lacking in magazine length to run the 338 WM to it's potential though. I have clients building my SS lines on them and it would be perfect for the new 338 Max that I have. It will run a 250 Berger past 2900' with magazine room to spare. Check it out on my website under medium actions
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

Why?

Don't get me wrong, I love the model 70s. But for the cost of an extreme weather he could have a very nice barrel and a way nicer stock. You never know what you're getting buying new rifles nowadays. The last two Winchesters I had needed fire lapping because they copper plated the bores in a dozen shots. After that they were fine, but he's got a chance to make something nice with a good tube from the get go.

Here is a .264 WM that I put together for my Father, was originally a 300 wm. 3.430" mag boxes don't work well for 300 win mags and high bc bullets, so this worked out much better ha ha. Krieger #5 barrel and Boyd's pro varmint stock, a pillar bed job and this thing was shooting half MOA consistently. The triggers are very easy to tune as well. Great rifle, I would keep it and build on it. Lots of good options for caliber as well off of the magnum bolt face, you can keep the same caliber or as Rich stated, get a little more HP out of it with his round and have oodles of mag room.
ruger m77.jpg

I say go for it. I own three Tangers. Two are short action, one long action. Have always liked where the safety is located for hunting.

When your smith is working the rifle over have him lengthen the mag box too. The LA loaded round feeds fine with a 3.350" OAL.

McMillan's hunter stock is a good fit for the Ruger even with a 30mm scope.

Hi sheepdawg, yup.......I think that you ought to sell it cheap, and if you want to sell it cheap PM me;):rolleyes::rolleyes:!! I had a Ruger 77 in .338WInMag, when I squeezed that trigger it rattled my teeth so bad that my fillings fell out!! I have a safe full of Ruger 77 tang safety rifles; 30-06, 35 Whelen, .358 Winchester, and a .270 Ackley Improved. If you want to shoot cartridges with heavy for caliber bullets, set out to reach the lands, then perhaps you might want to go with the Remington or Winchester 70s. From what I have experienced the magazine box is not as long as the Remingtons or Winchesters. PM elkaholic, Rich has a great line of cartridges that he has developed over the years, there might be something in his line of cartridges that might fit what you are looking for; not sure if your bolt face will work with his cartridge line. Finding someone to even work on the Ruger 77s was difficult for me to find. I heard all kings of stories about how the metallurgy was poor in the actions and they would crack if the barrel was put on too tight, to plain out the gunsmith was not set up to work on them. If you are looking for a good gunsmith to work on the Ruger 77, Dennis Olson in Plains, Montana. He is a good gunsmith who likes working on Ruger 77s, is set up to work on the 77s, his work is impeccable, he is honest and reasonable. He just built two Ruger 77s in .270 Ackley Improved with Lilja barrels, trued the action, lapped the lugs, squared the bold face, trigger job with the original trigger, pillar bedded, glass bedded and CeraKoted the entire rifle. I'm about to have him build another Ruger 77 in 30-06. If you want more information, PM me.

Last edited:
Me too, I'll by it cheep as well. I have a "tanger" in 06 I did a little work to back in the 80s. Truing, bedding and barrel. In one afternoon I developed three loads, direct from the Nosler manual. A 150; 180 and a 220. They all go under an inch, no windage adjustments needed simply add or subtract MOA to go from one to another.
I have several of them hanging around always looking for a cheep one.:)

I've only had one 77 tang safety redone. I don't think I paid any more for barrel/stock vs doing Rem or Win and gunsmith didn't have any problems doing action. Myself, I just as soon take existing rifle and do change over and you get to pick stock/barrel/chamber.

I took my unaltered Model 77 in .30-06 to Africa and killed every thing I shot, mostly one shot. It is not the most accurate rifle I have but it handles well, is smooth, and shoots fine. Chasing accuracy and ballistics is fine but is not as fun as the actual hunting. I wish I could spend more time hunting and less shooting. Main thing is to shoot something you are comfortable with. Have fun with your new rifle and happy hunting.

I would keep the M77. They are not cheap around here. They go for $700+ around here if you can find someone willing to sell one. Shawn & Brady at Straight Shooter Supply have no issues with working on Rugers.

Hey Sheepdawg,
First, once you start 'customizing' ANY rifle, you will never get your 'investment' back out of it. Just a sad fact of gunning life. You customize for YOU, not for resale value down the line. Most guys and gals, if looking for a 'customized' gun, are going to be looking for a Rem 700 (or equivalent aftermarket like Defiance, Surgeon, or the like) for target/specialty shooting reasons. That takes the Ruger 77 and Win 70 out of the 'game' right there if you think you'll customize and then have something you can quickly turn around and get most of your $$ out of later when re-selling.

Having said all that, some of us really think the Ruger 77s with the tang safety were quite special. The safety was in the CORRECT position for a hunting rifle and my .270 Win model was quite accurate right of the box. It was made in the late 1970s and even had a very good trigger pull right from the factory. I also think the scope mounting setup is superior to anything else out there. Rings bolt directly to the receiver so there is no 'base' to come loose. William Ruger did a good job with these guns. They are solid, well-built rifles worth keeping and fixing up for hunting.

I can't tell if you are passionate about this gun in any way. If you have no emotional attachment to it, then sell it and get that shiny new Winchester. There will be folks that will happily buy the tang safety Ruger from you. Prices have been creeping up on them over the years as people realize how special they were.

If this gun does have some emotional value then, YES(!), true the action, rebarrel it, adjust the trigger (they are adjustable!), and put a stock from Boyd's on there ( https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator/heritage-ruger-m77-3za472x44zz ) or McMillan ( https://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-ruger-gunstocks/ ). Then you will have a special, unique gun that you made to be what YOU wanted. It will shoot well and be a joy to handle and carry. That's a great feeling.

We just got done putting a Proof Carbon Barrel on a Ruger m77 in 338WM turned out great. Put a new stock on it. It's a absolute hammer.

I basically did the same thing to an old m77. I put a timney trigger on it with a benchmark barrel in 7mm. The old Mauser actions don't get a lot of press but benchmark themselves put the barrel on the action. It's one of my most accurate guns I have and shoots a legit 1/2 moa out farther than I can shoot. I used the old stock and bedded the action. It worked really good. Big fan on benchmark barrels and there work in house.
It ain't the prettiest because I basically painted the gun, stock, and barrel and use it for what it is but it's a shooter. I will also say this it has been the easiest gun I've found to shoot any load. Dang thing will shoot any load I've tried under an MOA
But really like h4831sc.
The only thing I'd watch is mag length. It not got the length as say a Remington.
Just my 2cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.