Ruger M77 mkII scope mounting issues

First I would measure the gap in the rear ring under the straight edge using feeler gauges. How much are we talking here? In terms of the approach to fixing the problem, there's a big difference between 0.004" and 0.040".

If the gap is small, lap the rings and proceed. If it's large, you can bed both rings using JB Weld, using the same general process used to bed a base to a receiver. Be sure to apply mold release (furniture wax or shoe polish) to the scope tube. there is a YouTube video on this process.

I would also recommend checking the existing boresight alignment. Mechanically center the reticle and mount it in the rings. Tighten the ring cap screws just tight enough to hold the tube against the saddle. Sight down the bore and through the scope at a grid target to determine the boresight alignment error. Again, if the scope is aiming low, lapping will likely improve the boresight alignment.

FYI, Weigand sells a Weaver rail adapter for $60. No drilling required. http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-M77-MKII-Rifle-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

Just in case you are not sure of the easiest way to center the scope:

Place the front objective lens so it is against a mirror. (The bathroom vanity mirror works for me) Look into the scope and you should see two sets of crosshairs. Adjust the vertical and horizontal till they are together. Sure beats counting clicks......

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.