Ruger m77 markii long action magazine length?

zr600

is there a way to get a mag length opened up on my Ruger m77 markii it's currently a 270win and with 150s at the lands it won't feed out of the mag. Somebody was saying you can have them opened up for longer loading was thinking about building a 7mm Sherman off this gun so I wanted the extended length.

To extend the mag on these, part of the ramp has to be removed, new inletting has to be made for the extended box to fit into. And a new box has to be made to suit.
I wouldn't bother.
Why do you need to load at the lands anyway?
There's always a sweet spot away from the lands and this can be as much as .100" away.

Cheers.
:)

It's currently at 3.439 is what it measures now I was thinking about the 7mm Sherman which I would need at least 3.6.

Thats long. My 300 WM tang safety is right at 3.34". I load at 3.335" for reliable feeding and to ensure the tip doesn't deform with recoil.

I have found the sweet spot with them and it's a looooong jump, but it can be found.

Here is one he built. It you look you can see .338 rounds in the mag.
IMG_0721.jpg

And here is another Ruger .338 Lapua he built for one of his customers with a Wyatts extended mag box. Also, He did not take any out of the feed ramp I guess.
ruger 338.jpg
ruger 338_2.jpg

He did state that it was a pain in the ***, so I guess it would just depend on if it was worth it for you and if your smith would do it. This guy has a liking for Rugers, so he didn't mind. I'm having him put together a .264 win mag on one right now, it was a 300 win mag. If I run into an issue with OAL, I'll just have him install a standard Remington 700 mag box, that will get me 3.700" anyway, plenty for a .264 WM.

Cody,
What brand of rings are you using on your 338?

I had slippage with my Vortex and Ruger rings. Thinking Leupys may get a try.

Cody,
What brand of rings are you using on your 338?

I had slippage with my Vortex and Ruger rings. Thinking Leupys may get a try.
That is not my .338, but I have burris ruger to weaver bases, then burris signature zee rings with 25 MOA of cant in the inserts. No issues on the gun as a hard kicking 300 WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.