Ruger M77 mark II 338 win mag?????

KidWalleye

what do you guys thing of this rifle as an entry lvl long range rifle?

accuracy?
cal?

price tag on it is $550 without a scope. it is used at the local gun shot. great looking gun no visible wear. talk to the owner of the gun shop and he said it is a very LOW round gun. the owner bought it from him and returned it about 2 months later as it had a little to much kick for him.
black synthetic Ruger stock and stainless action/barrel.

under further investigation i find that this is a M77 Mark II All weather. in 338 win mag cal.

thanks

Gary

Last edited:
I have Mk w/wood. Its shoots enough variety of bullet weights and powders accurately for my needs out to 600yds. I picked it up w/ kdf break and old school 3-9 redfield brass and dies for 450.00. But here is the hook Rugers are about easy as Brownings to get after market stuff for,NOT! Now I'm planning on switching a extra 270, 110 Savage. So that should tell ya this game just sucks ya in. Go w/rem or savage. There is a nice savage 338 in classifieds cheaper.
Gene

We bought my partners son the exact same rifle, and it's been a real accurate rifle. Accuracy wise it runs with our customs Edge's and RUM group wise, to about 500 yards, then it starts to spread. He can switch to our rifles and things tighten back up. We've been running the 225 Accubond in it, and I haven't set out to prove it, but I'm wondering if twist is an issue.
It's been a great hunting rifle, couple of moose, deer, and an Idaho Bighorn at about 400 yards. Great hunting rifle, but you are asking about long range hunting rifles. The 338 Winchester is a great cartridge, and should be capable of more, but for some reason this one rifle perplexes us.
I would like to quantify it more for you, but it's just a vague observation. He's in school not shooting much so we don't have a lot of motivation to run it down. Lighter faster bullets could resolve things also.

Mine shoots very well ... http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/ruger-m77-mkii-facelift-range-report-40952/. Paid $399 as seen on 1st pix.

Shot a coyote at 338 yards with .225gr NAB, 73.5gr H4831SC, CCI250.

2011-11-19_14-48-02_4.jpg

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg

Last edited:
im posting on a few 338 threads becuase I recently inherited my dads 338 win mag. it was born a 375 HH but he had it rebarreled for 338 wm its on a whitworth express action and shieln barrel w mz break, custom offset stock. I have always enjoyed shooting long range and i do so with my custom savage 7 mag and even shot 600 yd match with my AR. I was thinking about rebarreling my 7 mm to a larger cartridge because my savage was pushing a 168 Berger about 2940 fps and i wanted to get up around 3100
or 3200 while staying with the heavier VLDs so i was thumbing through my reloading books and seen the 338 wm pages and i was amazed !lightbulb I never had gave that rifle a thought its always been just an elk gun to me ! its pushing a 160 over 3200. has anyone used any 160 + gr VLDs and if so what have you had luck with groups and on animals for long range gun)
progress.gif

what do you guys thing of this rifle as an entry lvl long range rifle?

accuracy?
cal?

price tag on it is $550 without a scope. it is used at the local gun shot. great looking gun no visible wear. talk to the owner of the gun shop and he said it is a very LOW round gun. the owner bought it from him and returned it about 2 months later as it had a little to much kick for him.
black synthetic Ruger stock and stainless action/barrel.

under further investigation i find that this is a M77 Mark II All weather. in 338 win mag cal.

thanks

Gary
It's certainly a decent caliber to get out to 600yds with and at that price if it doesn't shoot very well you can always afford to have it accurized and still come out way ahead vs a lot of other guns on the market.

There was a brief period in time in the late eightes/early nineties that Ruger had some serious quality control problems that caused major accuracy issues but generally they are very good shooting factory guns.

Get the serial number, call Ruger, and find out when it was made for a little extra piece of mind.

Then put a good muzzle brake on it if you do buy it and have some fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.