Ruger M77 II

theicon2u

I have a Ruger M77 II SS with the skelton stock. Its a 300 win mag. Can this gun be turned into a good LR hunting rifle out to 1K. What work will it need or should I just buy something else?

I have a Ruger M77 II SS with the skelton stock. Its a 300 win mag. Can this gun be turned into a good LR hunting rifle out to 1K. What work will it need or should I just buy something else?

Well if I looked at the right one, it should do okay. You should have the barrel free floated and trigger work done. If it is not pillar bedded you should have them put in and glass bedded. Is the contour of the barrel thin, medium weight? The heavier the better for long range work. Your barrel length looks to be okay. Somebody that knows Ruger's on here should chime in soon. They make good actions with some love they will shoot pretty well. There is just not a lot of aftermarket parts for them.

Tank

I believe is the 26" barrel and yeah I can see it could us a good stock. The stock it has is thin and isnt not a floating stock.

You may find an aftermarket stock. Start at midwayusa.com. They have quite a bit of stuff. Sounds like it might be a good one if the barrel is a 26". That will help with keep velocities up for getting your round down range accurately.

Tank

I have a 30/06 that had the skeleton stock on it and I had several objections to it.

1. it is to light and kicks the crap out of you
  2. it is not stiff enough for larger calibers and must flex. I could not group mine at all until I changed to a pillar bedded stock, my groups went from 4 inches or better to MOA

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.