Ruger M77 Hawkeye 338

Blackpowder72

I posted on here a couple weeks ago about the poor accuracy of my Ruger 3338 win mag. I feel like I need to try one more time before I give up on this gun. I have the factory black plastic stock. All I read is how bad the factory stock is. What stock do you guys recommend replacing it with? I don't want anything fancy just something that works. Also I like a thin grip . Thanks

So would a wood stock be better than the factory plastic stock ? Im kind of leaning to the Hogue Pillar Bed stock for $169.95, but im not against wood.

Well I haven't ever had any trouble either until this gun. You can take the stock off and twist it and push the sides in and out where the receiver is. Just does not seem very strong. I have it in my head that a stronger better stock will help this gun . It has horizontal accuracy issues witch I have read comes from a weak stock.

I put a HS Precision stock on mine. I bedded and floated it. It works well but didn't make the rifle noticeably more accurate. It's heavier and the recoil pad hard rubber and has to go.

Im thinking the wood stock from Boyds is the cheapest way to find out, $100. If you watch there videos you will never buy a synthetic stock again !! :D

I will never own another Boyd stock after shooting my Savage 300 RUM.
It is a good shooting rifle but the recoil makes 416 Rigby feel like a Cowboy action load.
I have a couple of other 300 rums and you can shoot them all day if you choose to and are very pleasant compared to the Savage.

I will never own another Boyd stock after shooting my Savage 300 RUM.
It is a good shooting rifle but the recoil makes 416 Rigby feel like a Cowboy action load.
I have a couple of other 300 rums and you can shoot them all day if you choose to and are very pleasant compared to the Savage.

We have run a few of the Boyds stocks. They don't have that big of a recoil pad but that can be easily changed.
As to the recoil of a 338 win on a thin pad; I have a ruger #1 in 338 win tossing 225's at 2900 fps in an 8# rifle including scope. It has the stock pad; the only mod was floating the fore stock. She routinely shoots sub moa in poor weather and shoots clover-leafs at 100 ( and about an inch at 200) when decent conditions present themselves. I do not really notice the recoil but I also shoot a remmy 700 in 300rum with a factory bdl stock. It has made a couple of people tear up over the years...
The big, high velocity mags have higher recoil velocity than the more moderate calibers. Even though the recoil should be the same as my lightweight 375 h&h, the 300rum seems much heavier recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.