Ruger M-77 Mark II

LSU2006

I searched the forum and cannot come up with much on these rifles. I am trying to decide between Remington 700, Ruger M-77 Mark II and browning A-bolt (BOSS or BOSS-less) any help would be appreciated. I am thinking about a .270 for maily whitetail in Louisiana Thanks Again

LSU2006,

I would rank then in this order from best to least in my opinion for a big game rifle.

Remington 700
Ruger M77 MkII
Browning A-Blot

THe Rem will on average out shoot the other two. That is not to say that Ruger and browning rifles will not shoot as I have seen samples of each that performed extremely well.

The Rem has a better trigger system compared to the others.

The Ruger is a classy looking Mauser style big game rifle.

I do not care for the looks of the Browning rifles at all, this is just personal opinion but I feel the Ruger and Rem as much better looking rifles, plus they are both still made in the US, who owns Browning/Winchester now???

TO be honest, all three will serve well for a big game rifle in 270 for whitetail hunting out to 300 to 400 yards out of the box with perhaps a trigger job and bedding tweaked some.

If you get a Browning do not get the boss, waste of time and money in my experience.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I have to disagree with fiftydriver, but this is opinion as well, I own a lot of Browning's and have had several more, and I have yet to own one that wont shoot less than MOA, and some a lot less. If your wanting to do any custom work to it ,Remington is the best choice , everybody makes parts for it. If not , every Browning I have had had a better than average trigger, one of the best factory triggers of them all,but not usually adjustable down past 2.75 pounds. And haven't seen one that won't shoot. Another good option is the Thompson Center ICON or the Tikka , they both shoot like hell to , and are priced right . I even have two BAR's one in 7 mag and one in 30-06 and a BLR in 7 mag that all shoot under MOA.

I own several Ruger rifles, one Remington and one Browning. After all was said and done the Remington was the worst out of the box and required the most work to get it to shoot with the others. All of my Rugers required me to float the barrel to shoot sub MOA. However, Once I did they would all shoot .75 MOA or better. I feel somewhat fortunate to have had good luck when buying Rugers as not all have had this success. My Browning is a solid .66 MOA rifle right out of the box no work required. The Remington was closer to 1.5 MOA. I had to re-crown the barrel, bed the action and weight the stock to get it to shoot sub MOA. It will now shoot .75 MOA. I must say that I like the way that the Rugers and Remingtons look better than the browning. I also like the way they fit better as well.

If I were buying a new rifle knowing that i would likely use it in a custom later, I would either go with a Remington 700 as my first choice or a Savage as my second. They both seem to have the most after market accessories available.

The poster above mentioned the Icon. I have really been wanting to try one for a while now. I think that they have a lot to offer. The new Winchester model 70 looks promising as well. You could also use the model 70 in a custom build later with good success.

My go-to, hunting in any kind of weather and terrain is a Ruger 77 MKII all weather stainless. It needed a new stock, trigger, and some bedding (all of which I did myself) and trying several different loads before I could get it to shoot under an inch. Now it is rock solid. Has a no frills Burris scope on it. I can count on it.

I have a couple of Rem 700s as well. They are more like bench shooting divas. Nice to look at and lots of fun to play with, but pretty high maintenance.

No experience with the Browning A-Bolt.

My 2 cents worth.

-- gr8whyt

LSU- i only have remingtons and sakos. and one model 70 super grade. i would listen carefully to fifty driver.

Out of the box I favor the Ruger. The one piece bolt will never have the handle fall off and has the best extractor. The factory trigger is not that hard to tune. A lighter spring will do wonders. If I used rifle safeties I like the Ruger MK-II design a lot. They feed and function solidly. The included scope rings are as strong as it gets. I have yet to see one that didn't have acceptable accuracy to kill big game to 500 yards. Put a Leupold VX-II 3-9 on it and go feed your family forever.

Currently I own a Ruger MKII All weather stainless 30-06, and a Remington 700 SPS in a 7mm RM. I'll say I picked up the 7mm from a guy who needed some money, but before that I had hunted with my Ruger for years and loved it. It's killed many many whitetails, and only once has one not dropped in it's tracks. I purchased it 15 years ago with a Tasco Scope on it and shoot 150gr Winchester Power Point factory loads out of it and it's about as dependable as you can get. The only thing I don't like is how the scope mounts, but other than that, they're great rifles in my opinion.

I have 2 Ruger 77 mark II's. The first is a 223. with a timney trigger and a vari-x II 4-12 power scope. It shoots as well as I do (sub MOA). The second is a 338 win mag that has the action bedded and the barrel floated and a timney trigger and a muzzle break. I have a vari-x II 3-9 power scope on it. I won't say it doesn't shoot as good but I certainly don't shoot it as good as I do my 223. I don't know if it is the load, or the scope or the gun or the way I treated the gun when I first got it (It was my fist big game rifle). I suspect it is a combination of the lower magnification and the recoil (me). both these guns were purchased in the late 90's and I feel the trigger work was a necessity.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.