Ruger KM77VT...need better accuracy!

Rhino Hunter

I have one in .223, heavy lami stock, 26" bull barrel. It has a Leupold Vari-X II in 6-18 on it. I don't reload. I've shot about (8) different types of ammo through it and it does "not" perform like I want it to. My best group is about 1", and the worst is about 2-1/4", at 100 yards.

What should/can I do to improve the accuracy and in what order.

Thanx in advance!

Rhino Hunter

Last edited:
This is the one thing that has helped consistancy with a Ruger.
Loosen all three action screws a little. then with the gun resting on the butt tighten the front screw, then the back screw.The middle screw is the tricky one as most of the time it should only be tight enough to hold it in place + or - a little. Have yet to find one that shoots well with the middle screw very tight unless it has a pillar under it!

I had the same rifle in 25-06 quite a few years ago.

As mentioned, don't over tighten the middle screw.

Secondly, I had to pillar bed the action and did a trigger job myself before the rifle would shoot bughole groups (with good handloads). I never did get factory ammo to shoot very good. I ended up eventually shooting out the barrel, but it really did shoot great once I had the bedding job done and dialed in some good handloads.

I'll try the action screw suggestions.

I have cleaned the hell out of it already alternating with Shooters Choice and Sweets 7.62, and I do use a bore guide.

I believe the trigger is supposed to be adjustable. Surprisingly it didn't come from the factory with a 10 lb. trigger pull like all of my other Rugers. But I need to work on it to reduce the pull down to around 2 lb's.

RH

I have a M77VT in 22ppc that has had the first stage of trigger pull removed and the factory trigger is now a very nice 8oz

Consider taking the best brand or two of ammo and then also trying at 200 yards.

Recently tuned my uncle's Sako 30-06 before he went out to WY antelope hunting. His best group at 100 yards using 4 different types of ammo was 1 1/4" - and that's being nice about it.

We narrowed it down to the best 2, but tried all 4 types at 200 yards. One of them put 4 shots into 1 1/4" at 200 yards - effectively half the MOA it showed at 100 yards. Needless to say, that was the ammo he chose for his hunt.

Worth a try anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts