Ruger Hawkeye Long Range 300 mag

martyj

Went and picked one of these up just because they finally tried and might have just gotten it right.
The metal box magazine is 3.615 and plastic one is 3.5 long which is about time someone made a longer magazine on a Ruger.
Chamber is cut relatively short compared to most Rugers. A 200 Grain SMK will be into the lands of the rifling way before you reach magazine length. It almost appears they were cut for Bergers long bullets.
Not very fond of 2 stage trigger but I have one on an Anschutz and they do work well and this one is alot lighter than most production rifles.
It also has a 1-9 twist barrel that is 26 inches long with muzzle break or a protective cap that comes in the box along with extra shims to adjust length of pull.
I managed to get the barrel broke in and had groups making 1 hole and several .5 groups at 100 yards.
https://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLRT/models.html

Good to hear yours shot well. Over on snipershide several others reported that they were getting sub 3/4 moa accuracy pretty consistently.

Barrel break in ammo. Odds and ends.
I am going to handload for it Ill let you know how it does with 215 bergers

200 yards going to try a little more powder see if group shrinks or opens up. IMG_0971.JPG

Glad to see its working out for you so far. Its no secret I like Ruger actions. LOL I have been waiting to see how this gun would shoot since they came out with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.