Ruger Guns and Actions

webs

It seems no one on this forum talks about using Ruger actions for long range builds or accurizing Ruger rifles? Is there any reason for this?

I have a extremly accurate M77 in 223. my daughter has a M77 in 25-06 and it is a tac driver. our shooting/hunting buddy has the same gun she has and its dead on as well out to 700 yrds.
these are out of the box guns all are the heavy target models

2-3 weeks ago there was a discussion about that very subject,do a search and see what you come up with.
I actually own a custom Long range rifle I built on a Ruger. 338 Edge, 30" stainless barrel, 2.5 -16x50 Bushnell 6500 Elite with Mil-dots. Has over 1,240 rnds. through it in 1 year and still shoots 1/4" groups @ hundred. Just checked it yesterday. In fact I just got home from my daily shooting trip a few minutes ago. I was shooting in high wind @ 914 yds. With a Ruger.
So some people do it. Others may like Rem. or Win. or customs, or may have never owned a Ruger so know nothing about them. I have built on most actions from 03 springfields, 98 mausers, Remingtons, Stiller, Stolle, Rugers, ETC... This Ruger shoots just as good as my Darrell Holland built rifles and my Kevin Wyatt rifles, that cost 3 times as much.
If it's a Ruger you like, then Use it.gun)

2-3 weeks ago there was a discussion about that very subject,do a search and see what you come up with.
I actually own a custom Long range rifle I built on a Ruger. 338 Edge, 30" stainless barrel, 2.5 -16x50 Bushnell 6500 Elite with Mil-dots. Has over 1,240 rnds. through it in 1 year and still shoots 1/4" groups @ hundred. Just checked it yesterday. In fact I just got home from my daily shooting trip a few minutes ago. I was shooting in high wind @ 914 yds. With a Ruger.
So some people do it. Others may like Rem. or Win. or customs, or may have never owned a Ruger so know nothing about them. I have built on most actions from 03 springfields, 98 mausers, Remingtons, Stiller, Stolle, Rugers, ETC... This Ruger shoots just as good as my Darrell Holland built rifles and my Kevin Wyatt rifles, that cost 3 times as much.
If it's a Ruger you like, then Use it.gun)

Thanks, I found that discussion. I was just kind of curious because Savage and Remington seem to reign supreme with Browning, Winchester, Sako etc taking up the rear and no Ruger to be found at all.

I think that most, if not all, brands of guns can be a LR build. As Tank said, there are other brands that offer more in the way of aftermarket parts. I'm sure the Ruger will be a very accurate donor.

It seems no one on this forum talks about using Ruger actions for long range builds or accurizing Ruger rifles? Is there any reason for this?

I was told by a bench rest shooter that the Ruger actions flex easier, therefore less likely to be as accurate. Remember though, we are talking about hundredths of an inch probably? For most applications, you probably couldn't shoot the difference...Rich

My wife and I have rugers. One in 7mm mag, and one in 243 win. After floting the barrels they shot great! I still want triger work on the 7mm because of the flinch factor but still great with 3/4 in groups at 100yds. But after market parts are hard to come by.

Few after market parts and the angled front action screw. I have an old Ruger and i'm not sure I'll have anything done with because of angled action screw. If I do, I'll get another screw tapped in perpendiclular to the receiver. It's a tang safety which I like. There are a few members that did some builds on the ruger action and they turned out well.

Here's link to my thread on the subject.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/ruger-m77-action-build-33427/

-Mark

Burris makes bases that convert to weaver style rails.

They are called guess what?

Ruger to Weaver Adapters!

Who would have guessed. :D

Guess what you can do with them?

You can use Burris Zee rings with inserts to get 20 MOA of cant for your scope.

Then you can shoot an antelope at 1025 yards.

Antelope5.jpg

Or if you prefer you can shoot an elk
Manticowelk.jpg

It is an older model from about 1977 when they came with adjustable triggers. The trigger is really smooth. It is "fun" to hunt with. I enjoy it more than bolt guns.

9-7-082.jpg

Yeah, I had a 338WM in a Ruger #1B. It really like the Sierra 215 SPBT. Took two deer within 45mins of each other. It shot much better once I had the trigger work done to it.

Nice rifle BB!

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.