Ruger Guns and Actions

Just so we are clear.
I am not recommending that everyone rush out and buy a #1 for longrange hunting. I have been using this rifle for 35 years and I enjoy using it. We have a long history together and I know how to avoid the common problems associated with the cantilever hanger arm. I have other guns that are easier to shoot and find loads for but they simply do not provide the same level of enjoyment for me.

I have a local gunsmith that really likes using the #1 for builds. There is definitely a following for individuals that like a falling block or rolling block for precision shooting. If you think about it, it is a pretty sturdy looking system for good accuracy.

Tank

I have a local gunsmith that really likes using the #1 for builds. There is definitely a following for individuals that like a falling block or rolling block for precision shooting. If you think about it, it is a pretty sturdy looking system for good accuracy.

Tank

I had a #1 Safari that I rebarreled with a 30" Lilja in 300 ultra. It was a great shooter and a 1000 yd. elk thumper. I liked the falling block a lot so I'm building a 300 Sherman on the Browning 78 action. It's a little smoother than the Ruger and has a better extractor. What I really like about both is with a 30" barrel, they are 1/4" shorter overall than my 700 Rem with a 26" barrel. They really handle nicely. Some guys cringe over my tearing apart a 78 but oh well:D. The Browning has a small shank barrel (about 1.100") but has room for a 1.250" so I'm putting a modified Palma style from Bartlein. While I was waiting for the barrel I pillar bedded the tang and shot the original '06. It now shoots 1/2" so I'm really excited to get the Barlein 5R on and see what it does!......Rich:D:D

The one thing I remember about my #1 is the casing getting stuck on the safety when ejected. I always had to turn my rifle to the side to get it to eject out properly. You guys run into that at all?

Tank

The one thing I remember about my #1 is the casing getting stuck on the safety when ejected. I always had to turn my rifle to the side to get it to eject out properly. You guys run into that at all?

Tank

I didn't have that problem but I had it set to extract but not eject. I did have trouble with extraction at times if the load was a little still:D.....Rich

Yea I was just interested. I have a model 77 MK II LH laminated in 30.06 and was thinking about improving the accuracy with blueprinting the action and maybe a new stock.

Yea I was just interested. I have a model 77 MK II LH laminated in 30.06 and was thinking about improving the accuracy with blueprinting the action and maybe a new stock.

Go for it. Should be a shooter. I know that there are plenty of people that have had good accuracy with the Ruger once you get all the bugs worked out. From what I hear, they accurize as well as any other rifle.

Tank

I put a Hogue pillar bedded stock and a dayton triaster trigger in my 77/06 and went from 3 to 4 inch groups at 100yds to sub MOA with 168gr Nosler spitzers and 55gr of H414. I sure do love my Rugers !!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.