Ruger Compact Magnum.

Fitch

Where can I find case dimensions on the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum? I'm interested in it because it models as an almost exact ballistic twin to the .338-06 that I "think" will fit in a short (suitable for .300 WSM) action.

Why am I asking? I was kicking around ideas for a short action .338 just for the fun of it. I'm looking for something with the manageable recoil of the .338-06 (a remarkable cartridge) that fits in a short action. The 338 Federal has noticably less thump being contrained by the .308 parent brass. The .338 RCM, on the other hand, looks like it is the short action ballistic twin of the .338-06.

The parent cartridge, the .375 Ruger Magnum, is in QuickLOAD. It looks like it would fit a magnum bolt face but isn't a belted magnum cartridge (a feature IMO). But I'd still like to see a set of cartridge dimensions.

For those that don't have QuickLOAD, coming up with loads for a cartridge like the .338 RCM is where QuickLOAD is a huge advantage over starting with a blank page and lots of guessing. From the concept stage (exploring ballistics with candidate bullets) to selecting candidate powders, starting and candidate max loads, it is fantastic source of information. Once one gets to the range, real data takes over, but having the models to find a starting point is huge.

Fitch

Fitch,

Ammoguide.com has a set of dimensions listed for the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum. Case head looks to be .532 with an overall length of 2.015.

I subscribe to the site, but I think you can sign up for free limited use. In either case it is a site with good information.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.