Ruger American

Hello good people, I hear what you are saying in have had this also with several other name brands and as the one we are talking about they were all the, what they call the working persons hunting rifle I have helped a lot of good friends with mounting scopes to help with rifles shooting groups, mostly it has come down to stock either not torqued right or stock touching barrel , on most I have shaved the stock with a good knife until it is clear, as long as it isn't just twisted out bad. A little goes a long way be easy.

Hello all I'm not sure who all on here owns ruger American rifles on here but i have a ruger American go wild in 308 that i picked up back in January and at the time i wasnt a member on here yet nor did i hand load which if I'd knew then what i know now i wouldnt have bought it but any ways the one i have i can now get to shoot better than a 1 1/4 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards I've tryed 3 different bullets in 3 different weights and 3 different powders and 2 different primes and 3 different kinds of brass and that's the best I can get it to shoot and with factory ammo it wont shoot less than 1 1/2 inch groups.any one else ever had one like this? I'm about to sell the rifle due to I'm tired of waiting time with it.and I've check everything one the rifle the action screws have been torque the factory rail I took off cleaned and lock tight and torque back on I've tryed with a different muzzle brake and without a break and even free floated the barrel more I'm stump with it.ive cleaned it like crazy thanking it had build up I dont know what to do besides change the stock or sell it.any advice would be much appreciated thanks
Hog out the barrel channel 3/8'' from the front of the action to the end of the barrel so the forearm does not touch the barrel.

I have the Ruger American go wild in 6.5 creedmoor. After bringing the rifle home I noticed that the barrel was off set in the stock. When looking at the rifle from the top it was very noticeable (see picture). I called Ruger and they sent me a new stock (Great service) . I put it on and it is better but the barrel doesn't exactly lay in the exact middle of the stock. It shoots well, but it is a bit annoying. Ruger said to call back if the problem isn't solved. Curios if anyone else had this issue?
I had the same problem and ended up installing a Magpul stock.

Hog out the barrel channel 3/8'' from the front of the action to the end of the barrel so the forearm does not touch the barrel.
That's over kill. Re-leave the forearm until it's floated. If the stock is wood you need to reseal the areas that the finish has been removed. Otherwise if the forearm get wet, it can swell up and move your barrel aim point.

That's over kill. Re-leave the forearm until it's floated. If the stock is wood you need to reseal the areas that the finish has been removed. Otherwise if the forearm get wet, it can swell up and move your barrel aim point.
I relieved the stock several times but within hours the stock creept back touching the barrel while it was sitting on the rest! Using a 1" barrel channel tool I hogged it out 3/8th of an inch. Problem solved. Ruger uses a Tupper Ware or a soft plastic that warps significantly in warm weather or hot barrels caused from shooting.

Factory Ammo is not a precise term since the bullet shapes are all different and that's what bites first. A Remington 783 in .243 can shoot at or less than 1" at 100 yards using Remington Core Lokt 100 gr rounds. A Winchester Silver tip did well, but Hornady (American White Tail), Federal ( 58, 80 and 100's), and Remington Accutips did not quite do the job. All are decent brands but the shapes may not match the 783.

Is your "free floated" barrel touching your tupperware stock? If so clear the barrel channel by 1/4" so it does not touch the barrel.