Ruger American Go Wild 6.5 PRC

MajorSpittle

I ordered one of these that I am waiting to get delivered. Does anyone know how long of a round the Magazine accept?

I have yet to find any real info on these rifles in 6.5 PRC on the internet. Does nobody have one of these yet?

I have not seen one yet. I thought it was based on the short action but someone on another forum said it had a 30-06 length action, which I would really like to seat those long bullets way out. So, I emailed Ruger and the guy said it's a short action caliber, well I knew that but felt my question was not answered. I look forward to what you find out.

I look forward to the range results!

Ran a box of factory 143 eldx through it. It was just off the bipod on an uneven gravel road but I am pretty confident that it will shoot that stuff better then me. I got a couple 3 rnd groups you can cover with a dime. Did a couple 6 round groups that each had one flier so I need to figure out what is going on with that, without the fliers those were easily still sub MOA. I am guessing the fliers were caused by me and the bipod footing.

I am thinking the rifle shoots. This is the only factory load tried so far but I am thinking if a real marksman were shooting it off a bench he could have fit that box of ammo into a hole the size of a quarter.

Things I don't like about the rifle:

Trigger sucks. Heavy and sticky. I lightened it up before I took it out but with the way it shoots I need to see about a good aftermarket 2 stage trigger. I really don't care for the blade safety style triggers.

The stock isn't too bad. I should be able to fix it up. I already took a wood dowel and sand paper to open up the barrel channel because the fore end was touching the barrel. But I kind of like the stock. It has a good feel and is relatively rigid. It has aluminum bedding blocks embedded into the plastic but they are painted and not making the most uniformed contact with the action. I didn't take time to strip the paint off and verify what all needs done with that.

Muzzle Brake needs to go. Got pounded by dirt and gravel shooting prone on gravel road and doubt that I will need a brake. May put a Witt Machine Brake on the rifle if recoil is any issue with the Brake off.

Bolt feels like it is dragging across the bolt release when working the action. Not smooth, but functioned and had no issues with feeding or extraction.

Things I like about the rifle:

Bedding system. It uses dual aluminum V blocks across the action screws. Best system ever. Action Screws are socket head and the same size.

Magazine. 3 rnds and extra length ( 3.37" ) for loading rounds out to the lands. Magazine was secure and easy to pop in and out 1 handed (either hand) with ergonomic index finger release in front of magazine while holding on to magazine.

Barrel has a bit of girth but not too much. I put 12 rounds down the tube fairly quick and kept feeling the barrel expecting to need to let it cool but never did. I know my 270 win heated to the point I couldn't keep my hand on barrel for more than a second after shooting just 5 rounds at the same pace.

Threaded barrel..... it is a $500 rifle with a threaded barrel.

Gas port on the bottom of bolt to direct gas down into magazine if firing pin hole is breached.

Paint job looks good. Beats the crap out of a glossy black stock. Cerakote looks good and is suppose to protect the metal.

Good stock. Good texture, grip, and dimensions. The recoil pad is the best I have seen on a factory rifle.

Sounds good man I have this same rifle but in 308 and I'm working on loads for it now.i am with you on the cons of the rifle.trigger is next upgrade for mine already changed the brake out dont know how yours is but my factory brake was a pain to get off without a vise of some sort but with help it may be easier.im looking at one of these in 6.5 cm and one in 300 win mag

Major, thanks for your report.
1. The trigger is an easy fix unless you insist on a 2 stage and cheap. MCarbo can fix you up, I ordered 2 sets for a couple of TC Compass rifles I bought my Grandkids and gave me a light, crisp pull, the original pull sucked. I understand their RAR trigger set does just as well, I ignore the blade but then again I shoot Glocks. Also, they furnish a video with instructions, as an added bonus he's American and you can understand him!! https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-american-rifle-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

2. I don't know why Ruger does not sell their side baffle brake they offer on some models but not on others. Unless you want a higher dollar brake, this one works. I would want a better brake on a .338 Lapua of course but this one should take your 6.5PRC to 243-257 Roberts level I think. I installed one on my Wife's RAP CM, not that a CM needs it but she hates recoil, it took the recoil I would say to 22-250 level. You can buy it here

If those are acceptable to you then you are keeping the price point very low.
To me if I bought this type of rifle and then a Trigger Tech Trigger, a different stock and a high dollar brake, I may as well get a used 700 and build a rifle. It could be a little bit of a crap shoot but if you test the rifle as you did and see it has potential you could proceed with these inexpensive options. If it doesn't shoot you could sell as is and lose very little, maybe none if you buy smart.

I am thinking I can shop and get a good scope in the 650.00 range, I bought a Zeiss V-4 4x16 that way. I can see getting the whole rig for 1400.00 or so and have a 1/2" rifle based on what I have seen with the Ruger American family so far.

From what you said before you have extra seating room to play with, even with those 147's.

Thanks again for the report, good stuff!

Ran a box of factory 143 eldx through it. It was just off the bipod on an uneven gravel road but I am pretty confident that it will shoot that stuff better then me. I got a couple 3 rnd groups you can cover with a dime. Did a couple 6 round groups that each had one flier so I need to figure out what is going on with that, without the fliers those were easily still sub MOA. I am guessing the fliers were caused by me and the bipod footing.

I am thinking the rifle shoots. This is the only factory load tried so far but I am thinking if a real marksman were shooting it off a bench he could have fit that box of ammo into a hole the size of a quarter.

Things I don't like about the rifle:

Trigger sucks. Heavy and sticky. I lightened it up before I took it out but with the way it shoots I need to see about a good aftermarket 2 stage trigger. I really don't care for the blade safety style triggers.

The stock isn't too bad. I should be able to fix it up. I already took a wood dowel and sand paper to open up the barrel channel because the fore end was touching the barrel. But I kind of like the stock. It has a good feel and is relatively rigid. It has aluminum bedding blocks embedded into the plastic but they are painted and not making the most uniformed contact with the action. I didn't take time to strip the paint off and verify what all needs done with that.

Muzzle Brake needs to go. Got pounded by dirt and gravel shooting prone on gravel road and doubt that I will need a brake. May put a Witt Machine Brake on the rifle if recoil is any issue with the Brake off.

Bolt feels like it is dragging across the bolt release when working the action. Not smooth, but functioned and had no issues with feeding or extraction.

Things I like about the rifle:

Bedding system. It uses dual aluminum V blocks across the action screws. Best system ever. Action Screws are socket head and the same size.

Magazine. 3 rnds and extra length ( 3.37" ) for loading rounds out to the lands. Magazine was secure and easy to pop in and out 1 handed (either hand) with ergonomic index finger release in front of magazine while holding on to magazine.

Barrel has a bit of girth but not too much. I put 12 rounds down the tube fairly quick and kept feeling the barrel expecting to need to let it cool but never did. I know my 270 win heated to the point I couldn't keep my hand on barrel for more than a second after shooting just 5 rounds at the same pace.

Threaded barrel..... it is a $500 rifle with a threaded barrel.

Gas port on the bottom of bolt to direct gas down into magazine if firing pin hole is breached.

Paint job looks good. Beats the crap out of a glossy black stock. Cerakote looks good and is suppose to protect the metal.

Good stock. Good texture, grip, and dimensions. The recoil pad is the best I have seen on a factory rifle.
Will a Bell and Carlson sporter long action stock replace the Ruger American go wild 6.5PRC stock? Ruger says it has a single stack mag. I know it would fit if it was a rotary or an AI mag.

I believe you would have to order the rotary style mag from ruger and a short action stock I havnt heard of anyone using the ai mags with bell and carlson stock