Ruger 7x57

Waynzee

I have a chance to buy an older Ruger M77, tang safety, Ruger sights and red recoil pad in 7x57 Mauser. Excellent condition has 2 small dins on the rear stock that ya really have to look for to find. The fella that has it wants $850.00 for it. I see they are selling for this on Gunbroker. Is this a good buy, should I hold out to see if he'll drop the price, what do ya'll think????

I picked up a 308 win varmint barrel with really good bluing for $500 at a show. Even had the old Redfield scope with the tombstone and adjustable turret. It was a 1984 creation. His seems a little steep if you ask me.
I am a Ruger fan.

I agree. You can buy a brand new Hawkeye (IMO, a MUCH better rifle) for what the seller is asking for the Tang Safety rifle. No way would I pay anywhere near that asking price for a push feed Ruger. I wouldn't pay more than $450 to $500 for that rifle. Heck, $850 is about what I paid for my 7x57 Ruger #1A about ten years ago, NIB.

IIRC the those old 7 x 57s were throated for the 160 round nose so accuracy may suffer with many bullets. I had one and never got it to shoot that well. It went down the road. Perhaps with the newer Berger hybrid bullets you could get it to shoot.

I agree with the others anything much more than $500-550 is too high. Most of the used ones I see are in the mid $400s but they are also more beat up than the one you describe.

Okay thanks fellas, I really want this rifle and got the guy down to $700. It comes with a expensive Swift scope and I plan to reload 160 gr. Sierra bullets for it. I know it's still to much money but my Dad had a old 7x57 Mauser he hunted with for a good many years and piled up a lot of deer with it so it's more of I'm doing this for Dad thing, then I'll pass it along to my Grandson with some great stories. Thanks for all the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.