Ruger 77 MKII Action Screws

statjunk

Hello All,

I have a Ruger 77 MKII. Was wondering if someone could tell me why Ruger went with a three screw action with the front being at an angle? What is the benefit when there are so many others that get by with two screws.

Also how should the action screws be torqued, order and relative amount of torque?

I'm considering pillar bedding the stock because the other day I turned one of the screws and I sort of felt it biting into the stock. As though it was crushing it.

Any idea how difficult it might be to pillar bed the stock?

Thanks

Tom

I've never bedded a Ruger. Brownells has sleeves for it BROWNELLS : RUGER 77/M77 MARK II BEDDING PILLARS - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
But they're smooth so I don't know what would keep them from sliding in the stock. I'd ground some grooves in it and epoxy them in.
I want to bed my KM77VT but the sleeves don't fit the VT.

Concerning the three screws, The middle screw just holds the trigger guard and should be tightened last and not very tight at all. Tighten the front one first.

Hopefully someone who knows more than us will chime in.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.