Ruger 300 WM not very tight

Shane Lindsey

Greetings,
Just got done with a range session. Loaded up some 150 Gr TSXs (with varying seating depths to find the sweet spot) for the 300 WM. Groups were about 1.25-1.5 inches at 100 yds. This is about average for any load with this rifle. Any advice.

The rifle is from 1974. I have given it a face lift-new laminate stock (pillar/glass bedded), cerakoted the blued metal. She looks good, but not the accuracy I had hoped for after the bedding. Trying to avoid any real gunsmithing work (cheapskate).

Any advice to improve accuracy without breaking the bank.

Thanks,
Shane

Greetings,
Just got done with a range session. Loaded up some 150 Gr TSXs (with varying seating depths to find the sweet spot) for the 300 WM. Groups were about 1.25-1.5 inches at 100 yds. This is about average for any load with this rifle. Any advice.

The rifle is from 1974. I have given it a face lift-new laminate stock (pillar/glass bedded), cerakoted the blued metal. She looks good, but not the accuracy I had hoped for after the bedding. Trying to avoid any real gunsmithing work (cheapskate).

Any advice to improve accuracy without breaking the bank.

Thanks,
Shane
It seems barnes like around .050" jump give or take a bit. My pipes that are pitching barnes want some jump. I would look at more than one powder and more than one bullet weight too. We've had a few ruger 300 win's in the family, and every one has shot, but sometimes not your favorite LR bullet. My Dad has one at present that'll do well with a 150 hornady fb, and that's it. Two-three inch groups with most other combo's seating depth and powder be damned.
If you want to try something a bit different that'll still get out rather well, try a 165 hornady fb with 78gr. rl22 and a 215 in ww brass at standard oal.. I've killed a bunch of deer with the load and it's worked well in a number of rifles. My browning will do 1/2 moa with it regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.