Ruger 17wsm

For hunting I liked it, but I definitely skew towards hunting type accuracy not benchrest. My buddy has one I've shot a fair bit, it is the 18.5 inch stainless threaded variant. Ended up buying a vq instead of the ruger one because I got a smoking deal on a vq. I liked the package so much I bought a 17 hornet that's being cut down to identical trim but with a slightly longer mag and bolt throw.

Pros

Feel nice, feels like a real rifle
Magazines are good and reasonable price

Cons

Heavier than b mag
Current gb prices is eye watering, like just build a rimx eye watering

The big one is ammo. I went b mags to vq and had several k rounds in ammo, if starting from 0 it may be months to a year before we see 17 wsm on the shelf. If your new to 17 wsm I'd consider finding ammo first.

The rifles a neat one, neat enough I'll buy one if ruger ever does another run and they come back in reality as far as price wise. Not sure if it's more accurate than the b mag, but the ergo was enough for me to be worth it.

Anyone have any real world experience with the 17wsm in a ruger 77?
I have shot one for a few years, I really like the rifle. I free floated the barrel and put a Jard trigger in it and it will shoot one inch at 100 yards. Have shot hundreds of chucks and a few coyotes with it out to 250 yards. It's my favorite gun to throw in the truck.
Ceder.

I went ahead and pulled the pin and picked one up for a really good price with almost 500 rounds of ammo last night. It's a walnut /stainless with a 24" pipe. The guy said it didn't shoot well but he had a cheap scope with low power on it so I thought it might be part of the problem. Based one the ammo I think he only shot it about 40-50 times. Not even enough to break it in or if he even did it correctly.
Hopefully the warm weather hold out here for a few days and I can try it out.

just build a rimx
Yeah. That......

IMG_8734.JPG

Well I finally got around to shooting a few rounds and it's ok (hunting type accuracy). I definitely need to free float the barrel. It's a walnut stock, I'd like to find a inexpensive plastic or composite stock for it. Il find a little more time and warmer day to play with it to see what it will really do.

I had a Ruger 17 WSM. Biggest waste of money and time I have ever spent on a rifle. Returned it to ruger and they said it was fine with no issues. Sent it to a ruger expert in NY I believe and he worked on it. No relief. It constantly had misfires. I sold it for a loss just to get rid of it.

I'll stay with the 17 HMR. Never had any issues with it.

Well I finally got around to shooting a few rounds and it's ok (hunting type accuracy). I definitely need to free float the barrel. It's a walnut stock, I'd like to find a inexpensive plastic or composite stock for it. Il find a little more time and warmer day to play with it to see what it will really do.

I'm not positive, but have been told the intermediate action length for the 17 wsm, 17 hornet and pistol calibers are the same length just with different trigger guards and forward trim pieces. I cannot confirm that directly but it stands to reason as that'd the same case with the 22lr and 22 wmr 77 series. A takeoff 777/44 stock would be your closest match for a cheap synthetic.

After that it's gonna be limited to mpi and that's 425 now for a rough inlet unfinished glass stock. Not enough sales of the platform for folks like bell and carlson to do a run.... or so they told me.

Thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case for the stock looking at it. But didn't have one to compare it too.

As for the misfires I haven't had any yet. It shot 2" -2/12 " groups at a 100 so I think I will work on that part. I'm guessing a stock or free floating the current one and a little trigger work that should improve.
I'm always up for a challenge.

I was intrigued with a 17 WSM when they came out but ammunition was hard to find as it appears to still be. I have a Remington rifle in 17 Remington and a encore pistol in the same caliber. Just can't beat either one and I just keep reloading 25 grain pills Molly coated. Coyotes just love to be shot with them. Luckily I bought all my components before this crazy upswing in prices.

I was intrigued with a 17 WSM when they came out but ammunition was hard to find as it appears to still be. I have a Remington rifle in 17 Remington and an encore pistol in the same caliber. Just can't beat either one and I just keep reloading 25 grain pills Molly coated. Coyotes just love to be shot with them. Luckily I bought all my components before this crazy upswing in prices.
Im with ya on the 17. I had a 17-222 and it was great. I was young and hot rodded it to the point it throated the barrel about 2" -3". Went to 222 mag AI. I too like the idea of the 17 wsm . We will see how long it stays in the stable
:)))

I had a Ruger 17 WSM. Biggest waste of money and time I have ever spent on a rifle. Returned it to ruger and they said it was fine with no issues. Sent it to a ruger expert in NY I believe and he worked on it. No relief. It constantly had misfires. I sold it for a loss just to get rid of it.

I'll stay with the 17 HMR. Never had any issues with it.
i have a 22 mag in Ruger M77. It took me awhile to get to settle down. I had to take about an 1/8" out of the forarm of the stock. Changed the POI by 18" @ 100yds. Groups tighten up to about 1" @ 100yds. I wasn't real happy with it, but Still have. I had a trigger put into it also. Otherwise my groups were over 2" @ 100yds.
Now you got me thinks. Maybe I can have it converted to a 17WSM rifle. "I realize that won't get me to far."

I have two 77/22 and 77/22 mag. Both shoot lights out. Of course I accursed them quite a bit. I am interested in one in the 17 wsm but dang they are high when you find them. So high I ordered a rim x also. Got a barrel and reamer waiting on it. Main reason for the itch is I picked up 1500 rounds of wsm recently. So I have an excuse lol.