Ruger #1

Jeff W.

I've got an itch to build a custom 6.5x284 in a Ruger #1 as my long range coyote and varmint rig.

Here is a photo of a custom #1 that peaked my interest.

RugerNo1Custom6.jpg

Is there any out there using the Ruger #1?

How about the 6.5x284 cartridge?

Comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Ruger #1 was my first varmint rifle in 22-250. I really liked it. Then the more I got into calling I realized you needed more than one shot for doubles an triples. I got rid of it for a bolt gun which sits in place of my AR and shotgun that I now hunt coyotes with.

I use a #1 but not for coyote hunting. My coyote hunting consists of reading about other people doing it but I acknowledge up front that they are smarter then me. A Ruger #1 can be finicky to get accuracy out of and they are not the most hardy, "throw on the floorboards" type of rifle you might could buy. I use mine because I like the rifle not because it is the best rifle to use. Its just the most fun to use.

Two pieces of advice

1. Use a gunsmith who has a long history of successfully building #1s and knows how to avoid the common mistakes.

2. Do not ignore the first piece of advice. No gunsmith will touch it once it has been messed up by the first gunsmith

The Ruger #1 was my first varmint rifle in 22-250. I really liked it. Then the more I got into calling I realized you needed more than one shot for doubles an triples. I got rid of it for a bolt gun which sits in place of my AR and shotgun that I now hunt coyotes with.
Hey platapus:

Thanks for the comments. My son has an AR, so he is my follow-up/clean-up shooter. If I'm handling my gun well, one shoot on one coyote should be sufficient. Since I like the long-range shoots the most, my set-ups are in more open territory.

We will see what happens.

I use a #1 but not for coyote hunting. My coyote hunting consists of reading about other people doing it but I acknowledge up front that they are smarter then me. A Ruger #1 can be finicky to get accuracy out of and they are not the most hardy, "throw on the floorboards" type of rifle you might could buy. I use mine because I like the rifle not because it is the best rifle to use. Its just the most fun to use.

Two pieces of advice

1. Use a gunsmith who has a long history of successfully building #1s and knows how to avoid the common mistakes.

2. Do not ignore the first piece of advice. No gunsmith will touch it once it has been messed up by the first gunsmith
Buffalobob:

Thanks for your comments. I am very protective of my guns regardless of age or quality. I'm one of those guys that wears blueing off the rifle by cleaning it all the time. Accordingly, I'm not worried about the need to "baby" a #1 - I do that with all my guns.

I've joined the Ruger #1 Group on Yahoo and they have a list of gunsmiths that specialize in #1's. My first priority is to have it accurized and then work on a nice stock and some engraving.

Take care.

I've got an itch to build a custom 6.5x284 in a Ruger #1 as my long range coyote and varmint rig.

Here is a photo of a custom #1 that peaked my interest.

RugerNo1Custom6.jpg

Is there any out there using the Ruger #1?

How about the 6.5x284 cartridge?

Comments and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thats a real nice looking #1. I'll put that one in my collection any day.

I've been shooting the #1 since the late 60's and in my opinion out of the box its superb. Take it one step farther, glass bed and #1's go hand in hand, and its a coyotes worst nightmare.

My favorite has been the .220 Swift now I'm shooting one in .220 Rocket and it's a blast. Treat it just like the Swift as that's what it is.. almost.

My second favorite is the Ruger Mod 77 Mk II and in the Swift. If you go for the .224 caliper and are having a barrel made think seriously about a faster than 1:14 twist so the heavier bullet 62gr + flies good. Mine are chambered in 1:7 and 1:9 and I shoot 80 grs at 3000 fps with excellent accuracy out to 400yds and greater.

Not only is it a great coyote caliper it turns crows into a poof of feathers. If you decide to build up a #1 make glass bedding part of it.

Tom

I have one in 6.5wsm built by David Henry in Alberta has shot coyotes deer and a moose.My son has 6.5-284 built by Paul Reibens in Kamloops BC.It will shoot an inch at 200.I shoot 120 bergers and don't recover too much hide but they sure die.Pick a smith that knows how to accurize a number 1 a Moyers trigger helps or a set trigger...jack

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.