round not chambering

renegadelzard

Hey all,

I'm having a bit of a problem here...im using lee equipement, here is the run down

every so often, i used to have a round that would not let me close the bolt...this was always popping up in my 308 rounds..i though maybe that it was just i piece i picked up from the range that maybe had been fired in a gun with a really open chamber and my dies just wouldnt get it down to spec...large base issue, but today, i had 6 out of 20 do this in my 243..my 243 brass has all come from factory ammo shot in my rifle...also a bolt gun...any ideas?? ive loaded several hundred rounds that worked just fine, so im a little confused as to why this is happening...could it be that i have a shellholder that is a bit thick?..i have to admit that i dont really keep track of the shellholder, i have about 6 that fit the 308, 30-06, and 243...if not the shellholder, what else could it be?...help me guys, i know one of you learned scholars here has been through this before..whats the fix?

I think you may have solved your own problemb with your shell holder theory. Some will argue that if all the rounds have only been fired in your rifle then it couldnt be too big to fit, but I disagree, because its happened to me personally.
When using multiple shell holders, some combos work, some dont. I have a Hornady press, various RCBS shell holders, and Redding dies, and have run into this very problemb. I solved it by using a .015 shim under the brass in order to size it untill I could get the "proper thickness" shell holder, and mark it for that specific rifle Im loading for. I now have a gold mark on my 270wsm die and shell holder, a black mark on my dads die and shell holder, and a smudge of red paint on my cousins set. All 3 will work with my rifle, but only the mached pair will work in either of thiers. (all using thier own brass).
Dont throw away good brass. Try a shim and test fit the brass to your chamber first.
I look forward to reading the advise that others give.

I think im going to take one of the shellholders and run it facedown on a finecut file and try to take a few thousandths off...in theory, that sould allow the casing to travel further up into the case, thereby setting the shoulder back further...isnt this in essense the same thing as a small base die?...i kept a round from the 243 batch today that chambered ok, and like i said, i have six that wouldnt chamber, so im going to mike the difference to get an idea of how much i need to take off the shellholder...

how many times have you shot/resized the brass?

The 308, maybe 4-5 times, depending on which batch...most however was from once fired military brass of gunbroker..nearly half of this woudnt chamber..100 pieces wouldnt even fit in my die, so that gave me pause as to laying the blame on the shellholder...the 243 however, was only once fired out of a savage, then full length resized..half was shot through the savage with no feed issues that i remember, the other half however was the lot giving me trouble today in my rem 700..

I had a similar problem with my 300 wsm
I tried everything then somebody suggested if set up my sizing dies eactly
the way RCBS describes in the instructions I did that
lowered the handle all the way screw the die in untill it touches the shell holder the raise the handle and seat the die 1/4 turn deaper.
Have not had a problem since chambers everytime
retiredcpo

I had a similar problem with my 300 wsm
I tried everything then somebody suggested if set up my sizing dies eactly
the way RCBS describes in the instructions I did that
lowered the handle all the way screw the die in untill it touches the shell holder the raise the handle and seat the die 1/4 turn deaper.
Have not had a problem since chambers everytime
retiredcpo

I tried that the other night with both the 308 and the 243..the 243 seemed to work but only after i turned the die in 1 full turn..the 308 there was no change...here is my observation on it though..the shell holder touches the bottom of the dies, and therefore sets the shoulder space of the lenngth of the die...how does adjusting the position of the dies affect shoulder space..it seems to me that the only thing it affects is the amount of torque needed for the stroke...am i missing something here?...im getting ready to just buy new dies and shellholders and see if that will fix it...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.