Rotator Cuff

Just got back from my orthopod and found out I need a complete shoulder joint replacement, and not only that, a reverse replacement where they replace the ball with a new socket and vice versa. My rotator cuff has somehow been destroyed and the switch allows the deltoid muscles to takeover. I should get about 70-80% back as regards strength. Not really good news, especially since I broke my upper arm bone a year ago.
Although not the best news, this surgery will give you your quality of life back. I have had my RTS's since I was 42. I can do more now than I ever could before. The therapy was focused and I have more range of motion now than I did with my anatomical shoulders. I workout 3-4 times a week. I bought a Bowflex for easy and smooth resistance. It's much different than the mountain of free weights I used to throw around. Getting a full nights sleep has done wonders for my mental state as well. One thing I have noticed, I may have lost a couple of my interests due to my RTS's, but I know for a fact I gain 2 new ones for every one I lost.

Drawing any of the bows uses one set of muscles in both shoulders, but holding the bow elevated in front of you while you aim at full draw requires rotator cuff function. It is hard to develop enough strength in the deltoids to compensate for the loss of the rotator cuff muscles, esp the supraspinatus.
If I am wrong, someone please correct me. (I've been working on it for over a year with minimal success.)
Tulsa, my longbow probably weighs about a pound and a half. Not really much to lift there. Shooting a trad bow has never bothered my shoulders. The ruptured discs in my neck.....now that's another story.

Tulsa, my longbow probably weighs about a pound and a half. Not really much to lift there. Shooting a trad bow has never bothered my shoulders. The ruptured discs in my neck.....now that's another story.
Good point: long bows (and recurves) are very light, as opposed to my 8.5# Mathews compound bow.

Thanks a bunch!! I shot a new Matthews in February ....about 10 arrows at 50lbs a bit of a twinge in my back but the only part that bothers me is the first part of the draw to get over the cams. After that I was ok. Haven't decided what to do but I am exercising regularly and feel strong enough to pull 60-65. might try an older bow with less agress cams . I am liking that recurve!!!!!

After both shoulder surgeries in 2020 I am wondering what would be the easiest drawing compound at around 50-55 pounds . Crossbows just do not agree with me ! Been a Matthews guy since mid 90's and want to continue being an archery hunter of whitetail and maybe one more elk hunt!
Is this Bobby Z?

The biggest thing you can do is assure that your draw form is spot on to have maximum transfer to back as much as possible. I just had rt shoulder surgery again April 1st. 2nd in 2 years. Seems I had a calcium 1" dia deposit that sawed thru my rotator. So not repairable but in PT building strength. 5 weeks post surgery and have full rotation. Just starting low weight 20 lb PT. I just ordered new 50-60 limbs for my Hoyt XXL. I am certain I will be able to draw low weight to protect life of shoulder going forward. Have xbow but yuck! Added pic of the calcium deposit. Should have been removed but wasn't.🤬. If you are not certain on draw form, find someone who can show you, watch and coach you up. It will make ALL the difference in the world for being able to draw safely.

Attachments

• C858296A-25E3-4A3E-BB2A-28EBC34856A2.jpeg
    C858296A-25E3-4A3E-BB2A-28EBC34856A2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
I am an Orthopaedic surgeon and avid bow hunter for many years. What I would like to add is that there is a huge spectrum of cuff tears ranging from easy fix (still long rehab) to not repairable. Bottom line is finds doc you trust and will listen to you, then listen to them. Be patient and persistent with your rehab to get all you can.
when I injured my right shoulder I found after rehab the Bowtech SS had a much more comfortable draw cycle compared to many others.
I was just re-reading this thread and wanted to second that thought. I just tried the Bowtech SS and completely agree!!! It was much easier to draw and did not have a definite "wall " to draw over. Thanks a bunch.... I might be back in the game this winter!!!!

The biggest thing you can do is assure that your draw form is spot on to have maximum transfer to back as much as possible. I just had rt shoulder surgery again April 1st. 2nd in 2 years. Seems I had a calcium 1" dia deposit that sawed thru my rotator. So not repairable but in PT building strength. 5 weeks post surgery and have full rotation. Just starting low weight 20 lb PT. I just ordered new 50-60 limbs for my Hoyt XXL. I am certain I will be able to draw low weight to protect life of shoulder going forward. Have xbow but yuck! Added pic of the calcium deposit. Should have been removed but wasn't.🤬. If you are not certain on draw form, find someone who can show you, watch and coach you up. It will make ALL the difference in the world for being able to draw safely.
The rotator cuff of your bow arm is what holds your bow up while you aim. Proper draw form won't overcome this deficit if the cuff isn't repaired and rehabilitated. I just want to point this out because my bow arm rotator cuff was torn years ago and cannot be repaired. So I had to go with a bow weighing less than 5#.

Interesting since my rotator is shredded and is not repairable from the calcium deposit but yet I have no trouble holding a Hoyt DoubleXL up to shoot. My poundage is only at 55 and will likely be my max.