Rotator Cuff Buck

after having a rotator cuff, labrum and torn bicep repaired in my right (shooting) shoulder
I had the same surgery June 17th with the addition of a torn supraspinatis with 3cm retraction, a 10mm cyst and a bone spur..... 6 anchors placed. Worst 2 months of my life. Period.
That is quite the accomplishment sir ! Great job !!

GW, torn tendons in my left shoulder about three weeks ago. Doing therapy now, but it may need surgery. I'm left handed. Missing a deer hunt in a couple weeks.

If you didn't completely rupture the tendons ( i.e. partial tears ) you might be a candidate for PRP injections. I have two surgically repaired shoulders ( both done arthroscopically around 1990 ) and have had numerous partial tears in the rotator cuff and other joints in the arms & hands since. Platelet-rich plasma injections healed them all completely. Ditto for a torn labrum in one of the shoulders, and a cartilage in the wrist, as well as a bunch of ligaments in my spine. I also had stem cells injected into a more severe tear in one of the shoulders, and the results were phenomenal. Pain relief occurred by the very next day after each series of injections. I highly recommend looking into it. I had it done by a couple of different clinics, and Regenexx is the better of the two by far. They probably have a satellite clinic somewhere near you. Here's a link to their website if you're interested in looking into it : https://regenexx.com/. Down-side - it's expensive, and insurance doesn't cover it. The up-side is that down-time is greatly reduced, relative to surgery. Pain is negligible. It does not negate the need for PT - that is part of the recovery process with these regenerative therapies, and is VERY important. If you want the full story, send me a message with your number or email address. Best of luck.

I had the same surgery June 17th with the addition of a torn supraspinatis with 3cm retraction, a 10mm cyst and a bone spur..... 6 anchors placed. Worst 2 months of my life. Period.
That is quite the accomplishment sir ! Great job !!
Yup... Through the 1st 7-8 weeks it was pretty miserable. I didn't think there was a chance I could get out, but then in a 10 day span I had an incredible improvement that got me thinking maybe I could make it happen. Glad I gave it a try...

If you didn't completely rupture the tendons ( i.e. partial tears ) you might be a candidate for PRP injections. I have two surgically repaired shoulders ( both done arthroscopically around 1990 ) and have had numerous partial tears in the rotator cuff and other joints in the arms & hands since. Platelet-rich plasma injections healed them all completely. Ditto for a torn labrum in one of the shoulders, and a cartilage in the wrist, as well as a bunch of ligaments in my spine. I also had stem cells injected into a more severe tear in one of the shoulders, and the results were phenomenal. Pain relief occurred by the very next day after each series of injections. I highly recommend looking into it. I had it done by a couple of different clinics, and Regenexx is the better of the two by far. They probably have a satellite clinic somewhere near you. Here's a link to their website if you're interested in looking into it : https://regenexx.com/. Down-side - it's expensive, and insurance doesn't cover it. The up-side is that down-time is greatly reduced, relative to surgery. Pain is negligible. It does not negate the need for PT - that is part of the recovery process with these regenerative therapies, and is VERY important. If you want the full story, send me a message with your number or email address. Best of luck.
This was given to me as part of the post surgery procedure to help improve the healing process. I think it helped tremendously.

I carry an ATV ramp in my truck, and a come along. Three of us struggled to get an oryx into the truck last year, and my helpers were big guys, although one was as old as me. For an antelope hunt, I made a hoist that fit into my receiver hitch. That was really easy. For most of my hunts we aren't road hunting, so I use the gutless method and just carry out the meat. As long as the weather is cool, you've got lots of time.

Wow, that is an amazing recovery. I need the same surgery. My Doc acts like it will be 6 months before I could do that.

Well it will be 6 months for a full recovery… I'm close but still not 100%. I'm at 4 1/2 months.

I had surgeries on both shoulders back in the late '80's, and my recovery is on-going. While I'm still very pleased with the outcome, I'm a good reminder to all that these repaired joints are never going to work like new ones do. PT is extremely important to get your money's worth out of the surgeries, and the exercises the physical therapist tells the patient to do must become a permanent part of your everyday life. I'm still doing the routine all these years later.

In my case, there were lots of tendons & ligaments with partial tears, which they typically don't touch when doing these surgeries. They only fix the ones that are ruptured. That's where the regenerative therapies helped me out, and this has enabled me to do the weight training workouts that keep these joints fully functional. With more muscle mass surrounding the repaired joints, there is less strain on the repairs they made and less likelihood of a re-occurrence.

Another thing I should mention is this : with repaired shoulder joints, we don't move our bodies in the manner we did before the shoulder injury and repair. This causes wear & tear on other joints that are distal to the shoulders, like the elbows and wrists. Even the joints in the hands can be affected, and it's by things as simple as how we swing our arms when we walk. These are the things I had taken care of with PRP, and things are still holding together after ten years. A lot of doctors told me that this isn't durable, but I have learned otherwise. Now it seems that they are using it in the initial recovery from surgery, which is encouraging. When the orthopedic surgeons recognize that these regenerative therapies have a place in their practice, they may get over the fact that they are often an alternative to surgery, which is why they have been opposed to their use. These treatments won't fix a completely torn & ruptured tendon - just the partial tears that often surround them. Fixing the partial tears before they become complete tears is my preference to having another surgery that takes me out of my workout program for four or five months. It's hard to get back the muscle mass that is lost in a hiatus of that duration. Starting over is difficult. Good luck with the rest of your recovery, and by next hunting season you will quite likely be shooting off your right shoulder again.