Rotator Cuff Buck

GW Hunter

On Wednesday, 9 weeks to the day after having a rotator cuff, labrum and torn bicep repaired in my right (shooting) shoulder I was fortunate to come across this buck at 200 yards. I was able to set up and shoot him left handed, which was my plan as my right shoulder is not ready for any recoil yet. My buddy then was able to get to the buck with his three wheeler and we were home free.
When I had the surgery I was a cranky old SOB thinking I was gonna miss the season. Now I think I will be able to hold on to my sanity for another 11 months…
623F03E3-F14B-432D-A4AB-622516E3F2CA.jpeg
BA70524F-764D-40FF-B273-EEEDC0BEE660.jpeg
876FDB92-8A3B-4D5B-97E8-C96B28D7A399.jpeg
C2225CEE-C94A-40DA-90BD-17368BFFBF35.jpeg

Congrats! I've considered trying shooting left handed for the fun of it, but don't get enough range time to try something like that. It's always going for a specific purpose, get it done and get back. But now I know a legitimate reason to try it! Best of luck with your recovery!

How did you drag and put the buck on your 3 wheeler . Last year i had to drag my buck 200 +yards and put into my truck bed , I had a h=== of a time and it took about 1/2 hour to just load this buck . ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

How did you drag and put the buck on your 3 wheeler . Last year i had to drag my buck 200 +yards and put into my truck bed , I had a h=== of a time and it took about 1/2 hour to just load this buck . ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Fortunately is was steep straight downhill for about 150 yards. Not too bad… pulled with my left hand only. I just needed to maneuver around a few fallen branches. I was in high desert so the terrain was fairly open to get the 3 wheeler there. I wouldn't have been able to lift it without my buddy around. In one of the pictures you can see we used the 3 wheeler to pull up the gambrel for skinning. I could not have done the hunt without my friend along. That's for sure.

You are a stud, sir. I couldn't hardly move my arm at all for 3 months and certainly couldn't stand shooting for almost a year after having a similar bit of work done to my non-shooting shoulder (labrum reattach, bone lump removed from humerus where subscapular tendon had been rubbing for years before it snapped and the subscapular tendon reattached).

Fortunately is was steep straight downhill for about 150 yards. Not too bad… pulled with my left hand only. I just needed to maneuver around a few fallen branches. I was in high desert so the terrain was fairly open to get the 3 wheeler there. I wouldn't have been able to lift it without my buddy around. In one of the pictures you can see we used the 3 wheeler to pull up the gambrel for skinning. I could not have done the hunt without my friend along. That's for sure.
At 75 I hunt alone with 4-wheeler ATV. Meat deer get dragged 2-3 miles back to camp. Trophy gets help or truck when possible! Only regret is wearing spots on the hide. I call it trolling for coyotes. I do have them trailing at times. I guess next is UTV, but my bike gets deep in. There's not much self- dragging here. Go deep!

On Wednesday, 9 weeks to the day after having a rotator cuff, labrum and torn bicep repaired in my right (shooting) shoulder I was fortunate to come across this buck at 200 yards. I was able to set up and shoot him left handed, which was my plan as my right shoulder is not ready for any recoil yet. My buddy then was able to get to the buck with his three wheeler and we were home free.
When I had the surgery I was a cranky old SOB thinking I was gonna miss the season. Now I think I will be able to hold on to my sanity for another 11 months…View attachment 305594View attachment 305595View attachment 305596View attachment 305597

It's good that you're honoring the restrictions and not abusing that freshly- repaired shoulder. Shooting left-handed when you're not wired that way is a bit of a trick. Nice going. I think the surgeon would probably tell you that it's OK to fry backstraps with your right hand.

GW, torn tendons in my left shoulder about three weeks ago. Doing therapy now, but it may need surgery. I'm left handed. Missing a deer hunt in a couple weeks.

Congrats! I've considered trying shooting left handed for the fun of it, but don't get enough range time to try something like that. It's always going for a specific purpose, get it done and get back. But now I know a legitimate reason to try it! Best of luck with your recovery!
You should give it a go! I've been doing it for 49 years! I've often thought though....I should try shooting right handed sometime!

Recent Posts