rotating reticle on MK4?

gahlizard

this sounds like a dumb question to ask, i might be crazy but it appears that the tmr reticle keeps rotating counter clockwise on my buddies 300 wm. the scope is a 6.5-20 with 50mm objective. its mounted in seekins 4 screw rings on a farrel 10 moa base. it did it once before, glen told me to crank the cap screws to 40 in/lbs. everything has been checked and rechecked for torque. the level is a horus vision level/aci in a badger mount, setting on the farrel base. nothing has had a wreck or a fall. the only thing i can guess is the reticle is rotating in the scope. i have not yet verified if the scope is still tracking plum yet. too much wind and snow and wind and snow
icon9.gif
thanks a bunch for anyones help or advice.
greg

Check to see if the reticle is square with the turrets. You can do this with a boresighter (a good one with a grid) or by aiming at the edge of a building, lining up the reticle with the edge of the building and cranking the turret up while holding the rifle solidly. The reticle should track down the edge of the building, not veering left or right.

If the two are square, remount the scope and/or the level...level. :D If not, send the scope back to Leupold and they'll hopefully fix it.

Ouch!

40 inch-pounds sounds excessive to me. When I purchased my rings from Glen, he told me 55 inch-pounds on the two base screws, and 15 inch-pounds on the cap screws.

One of us is running with the wrong torque numbers.

Regardless of that, I don't see how the ring cap screw torque would cause a reticle to rotate. I think the scope needs some internal surgery and I'd send'er back to Leupold.

40 in/lbs is what i thought? glen said he recommends the 15 because he crushed a few scopes with anything more. now don't take it as gospel, but he said the MK4, PM2 and NSX are built with tough enough bodies to embrace a tighter hug and handle the 40in/lbs. i lapped the rings prior to mounting, took the caps off just to see and everything looked great, i must admit that i was scared at first though.
greg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.