Rotary tumbler

Which car wash and wax do you use? Is it an all in one product or a separate soap and wax? I've used Nufinish in my dry tumbler but have always used the frankford wash stuff in my wet tumbler just because I haven't ran out of it yet.

I bought a jug of Turtle Wax brand all in one wash/wax liquid, works on my truck too!! Cap full, doesnt suds up quite like Dawn but cuts the grime and just smooth brass. No build up gunk on brass. Slides through dies too (9mm/40).

I'm lucky to have a neutral PH here near Vonore TN and don't require any Lemishine and just 1 teaspoon of Dawn works good on range pick up brass. In Colorado I had to use 1 teaspoon Dawn and 1/2 teaspoon Lemishine with pins. Haven't tried the chips yet, the pins are still working fine for me.

I bought a jug of Turtle Wax brand all in one wash/wax liquid, works on my truck too!! Cap full, doesnt suds up quite like Dawn but cuts the grime and just smooth brass. No build up gunk on brass. Slides through dies too (9mm/40).
Interesting - I get absoultely no suds. Something in the differences in our waters?

Last edited:
Interesting - I get absoultely no suds. Something in the differences in our waters?
I guessso. Our water come from a spring (where Rev Elijah Craig made the first bourbon actually) and it Has a lot of calcium in it from the limestone. So I add a heaping 9mm case full of lemishine in the pot. We also use it in the dishwasher.

Yes, I get very little suds and prefer it myself. I don't measure really, maybe a cap to two caps of the wash/wax? Seems sometimes a little too much dawn makes rinsing a pain.

I have been using stainless pins, about 2 oz of Dawn and 2 capful of lemishine in my cement mixer. I could do over half a five gallon bucket of 308 brass at one time. Of course the motor finally gave out so I am going to try building one with a treadmill and using two heavy duty 5 gallon buckets with gama seals with paddles on the inside.

I sure appreciate the feedback and it's probably helpful to others as well. I've been reloading successfully for many years with a regular tumbler. I had three and one died. I like the thought of clean brass with no dust on or inside of it and it's always good to learn. The local sporting good store is pretty low on just about everything including cleaning solutions. I did find a 32 ounce jug on Midsouth and I have to order some flip caps so that's the route as a beginner I'm going to go. Definitely going to look at some garage sales for a dehydrator as I'm in the northwest and laying out on a towel doesn't sound like a dry experience

I sure appreciate the feedback and it's probably helpful to others as well. I've been reloading successfully for many years with a regular tumbler. I had three and one died. I like the thought of clean brass with no dust on or inside of it and it's always good to learn. The local sporting good store is pretty low on just about everything including cleaning solutions. I did find a 32 ounce jug on Midsouth and I have to order some flip caps so that's the route as a beginner I'm going to go. Definitely going to look at some garage sales for a dehydrator as I'm in the northwest and laying out on a towel doesn't sound like a dry experience
You can also lay them out on a cookie sheet and throw them in the oven at it's lowest temp, usually around 175*. I have a dehydrator but often use the oven since it's a little more convenient. I'll pre-heat it to 200* and throw a couple trays of brass inside and kill the heat and then go about my day. I may come back an hour later or sometimes the next day (whenever I get to it) to retrieve dry brass.

Cookie sheet and oven here too. Shake/toss brass in towel (like polishing a bowling ball) then lay out brass on cookie sheet, set oven to 200* (+/-), place in middle rack, turn off when it comes to temp, let it cool, done! No water or spots

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.