Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 338 RUM

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • 7mm RUM

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gphil

I am new to long range shooting and would like to become proficient out to 400-500 yards on elk deer and black bear. I live in northen idaho so the terrain varies alot from thick timber to open glades and clearcuts. I often encounter shots from 20-500 yards on game. I just bought a remington xcr 338 win mag its totally stock and has a 26 in barrel, and i am shooting hornady 225 sst's propelled by 70 grains IMR 4350 roughly going 2800-3000fps. for optics I have a nikon monarch 4-16-42. Is this setup adequate to take game out to 500 yards if I do my part? I was also looking at getting a stock somewhere in the $300 range and I was wondering if a tactial style stock with the vertical grip would help improve accuracy. Whats the science behind it? does it cause for you to have a better more comfortable grip from the prone position, and how are they to shoot offhand because I encounter short range shots too.

Thanks for the help i need all i can get!

Sounds like a nice rifle. You have more than enough power for your intended use.

I would advise against a stock with a vertical grip for shooting off hand. Sure it can be done but why, and they are more often than not heavy. I have used a few diffrent stocks in my short time in this game. What I have found works for me is over built and modified sporter style stocks.

HS precsion, Manners MCST, McMillan Hunter etc all suit my style very well and can be shot from the standing position quite well. Most of the time a stock up grade is going to improve accuracy. Something else you may want to look into is a accurcy job from one of the smiths here.

Last edited:
At only 500yds, any of those calibers will do just fine (as will your current rifle).

The 7Rum will have less recoil and shoot a little flatter, with a fast twist and heavy bullets, it's a nice cartridge.

The 300Rum is a serious hammer that will last a bit longer than the 7RUM and is plenty flat shooting out to 1000yds.

The 338RUM can be jarring in a light rifle :D , In a heavy sit and wait rifle, it's not bad.

AJ

I answered 338 RUM mostly because of the way the question is asked. Factoring in more specifics could change my answer.
Nothing in the world inadequate about the 338 your using now for the parameters you plugged in.

your current rig certainly has the capability to take elk, black bears and smaller game well past 500 yards.

Take it out and shoot it though and find out if it has the accuracy for shooting that far.

Vertical grip stocks are great for prone, but not optimal for standing off-hand hunting shots. The reason I like the vertical grips for prone shooting is wrist-angle. With a vertical grip my hand is straighter and provides better trigger control.

Gphil, You absolutely have enough rig to do the job at 500 yards. Being new to long range shooting, I know, some guys are warm up at 500 yards, but still for deer/elk hunting I think anything over 300 is a pretty dang good shot! Practice Practice Practice. Know what your bullet is doing from the time it leaves your barrel. For this check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. Also, if your Nikon Scope has a BDC reticle you can dial that in to your shooting needs as well.
If you really want to spend $300,I would suggest doing some accurazing work on your rifle. Find a good gunsmith that maybe a buddy can recommend. Also see about getting your trigger adjusted or changed out to one that is adjustable. I like 4 pounds for hunting rifles.
Once you get all this done, finding the round that your rifle likes the best is the next step. I have a Custom 300 Win. that like's Hornady ammo. It doesn't matter how much I love Partitions and Accubonds, this rifle only wants 190 gr . Interlocks.
Lots of great information on this Forum and I am sure you will find answers to all your questions. Best of luck and I know we all hope to see some pics of your harvests.

Thanks for the advice I will definately take this information into consideration. I just recently filled my deer tag so I plan on dedicating this winter to practicing out to 500 yds so that im hopefully proficient for spring bear! I do currently have my factory trigger adjusted to right around 4lbs and I will definately look into getting my stock glass bedded. Im just hoping that my MOA adjustments on my scope come back to zero repeatibly. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice I will definately take this information into consideration. I just recently filled my deer tag so I plan on dedicating this winter to practicing out to 500 yds so that im hopefully proficient for spring bear! I do currently have my factory trigger adjusted to right around 4lbs and I will definately look into getting my stock glass bedded. Im just hoping that my MOA adjustments on my scope come back to zero repeatibly. Thanks again!

Tune your trigger down closer to 2 or 2.5lbs.

Defintely feel what 2-2.5 pounds feels like before you do it. I have a .243 that is a great shooter, has a 2 pound trigger pull. I had one accidental discharge when coyote hunting and wearing thick winter gloves. Just barely touching the trigger while getting ready to shoot sent a premature round down range, thankfully in a safe direction. Needless to say, if I need to wear gloves, I keep that rifle at home.
Just a thought.......

Defintely feel what 2-2.5 pounds feels like before you do it. I have a .243 that is a great shooter, has a 2 pound trigger pull. I had one accidental discharge when coyote hunting and wearing thick winter gloves. Just barely touching the trigger while getting ready to shoot sent a premature round down range, thankfully in a safe direction. Needless to say, if I need to wear gloves, I keep that rifle at home.
Just a thought.......

hand warmers...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.