Rolling Shoulders

First thing I would do is size a couple of cases and measure the outside neck diameter. Then measure the outside of the neck on a loaded round and subtract the 2 numbers. that is your neck tension. If that is more then .003-.004, that's way too much and I prefer .002. Looking at the pic of your expander button, it has wear and scratches on it. That's from not brushing some lube on the inside of the neck when sizing. Carbon is very abrasive.

First thing I would do is size a couple of cases and measure the outside neck diameter. Then measure the outside of the neck on a loaded round and subtract the 2 numbers. that is your neck tension. If that is more then .003-.004, that's way too much and I prefer .002. Looking at the pic of your expander button, it has wear and scratches on it. That's from not brushing some lube on the inside of the neck when sizing. Carbon is very abrasive.
Look at post 78.

Look at post 78.
Well if you're collapsing the shoulder with only .001 neck tension, then something else is terribly wrong! Check the size of the pressure ring on the bullet...not the shank. Check the sliding sleeve in the seater to make sure it isn't bottoming out before the ram gets to the top of the stroke or getting stuck. Run a piece of brass with no bullet in and see what you feel. Take it apart, clean and lubricate the inside and outside of the sleeve assembly and seating stem and also the inside of the die body. Show me a pic of the adjustment of the seating stem on top of the die please.

Last edited:
Well if you're collapsing the shoulder with only .001 neck tension, then something else is terribly wrong! Check the size of the pressure ring on the bullet...not the shank. Check the sliding sleeve in the seater to make sure it isn't bottoming out before the ram gets to the top of the stroke or getting stuck. Run a piece of brass with no bullet in and see what you feel. Take it apart, clean and lubricate the inside and outside of the sleeve assembly and seating stem and also the inside of the die body. Show me a pic of the adjustment of the seating stem on top of the die please.
Post 102.

Post 102 doesn't show me what I asked to see...the adjustment on TOP of the die....not what you see in the window.
image.jpg

That should be ok if that is your final seat setting. I'd still clean the inside of the die and sleeve. It doesn't take much dirt to bind the sleeve. I kernel of powder or a sliver of brass can screw things up. The other thing I'd also try is a small amount if Imperial wax on a nylon bristle brush and lube the inside of the case neck before sizing. Run the brush in and out twice and you should see a slight color change inside the neck. The little bit that's left inside the neck should help smooth out the seating operation.

Last edited:
That should be ok if that is your final seat setting. I'd still clean the inside of the die and sleeve. It doesn't take much dirt to bind the sleeve. I kernel of powder or a sliver of brass can screw things up. The other thing I'd also try is a small amount if Imperial wax on a nylon bristle brush and lube the inside of the case neck before sizing. Run the brush in and out twice and you should see a slight color change inside the neck. The little bit that's left inside the neck should help smooth out the seating operation.
It's clean. I was able to hold the sleeve up and it still did it.

image.jpg