Rocky Mountain Bullets

Tikkamike

Does anyone use the Rocky mountain bullets? they are pricy but the advertised BC's are flat out amazing I am interested in them in 338 and 375 caliber. Would like to know anything that anyone knows about them

Mike,
I have used them in 275 grain and .300 grain out of my .338 Edge.
They did not shoot as flat as advertised in my rifle.

Mike,
Been told the 375`s need a fast twist of 10 or betterI`m thinking about Cutting Edge`s 330 grain there suposed to stabilize at in 12 twist at 375 H&H mag speeds.
Rob

I have tested them in my 338 AX and 338 AM and they did not come close to matching their advertised BC in my test rifles when shot at long range. Zeroed them at 100, dialed up to 1200 yards using their numbers, my velocity and environ conditions and they were hitting WAY low.

The 275 version was supposed to have a BC of .92, they shot about the same trajectory as my 300 gr SMK load and topped out at just barely more velocity so I did not see any advantage there.

The 300 gr version was better but I estimated its BC to be in the .85 to .87 range when fired at 3275 fps in my 338 Allen Magnum and at 2920 fps in my 338 AX. Just a hair off of the advertised .98 BC!!!:rolleyes:

They shot alright for accuracy. On line with the 300 gr SMK in the 338 AX, not quite as good as the SMK in my 338 AM.

Penetration wise, they turned to dust in both of my wildcats at 1000 yards when fired through water filled milk jugs with a 1.5" pine board after the second jug. None of them penetrated the pine board out of my wildcats. With the 338 AX, all bullets were found embedded in the board. When fired out of the 338 AM, there was just shrapnel specs all over the board. Blew the hell out of the milk jugs but did not penetrate well at all.

By comparision, the 300 gr SMK will always break through the board on same test. Not saying it will retain alot of weight but it always gets through the board.

The bullets I bought for testing had severe pressure dents around the ogive and had a very dull, rough finish. Almost felt sticky to the touch. After several hours in the brass polisher, they felt much better but still had the pressure dents, mainly on the 275 version.

Not saying they are not good bullets, as mentioned they shot fine, just more then I am willing to pay for what you get. Especially with the new Berger Gen 2 Hybrids around now.

I recommended to RMB that they needed to fix the pressure dent issue and put a better finish on their bullets. And that they also needed to refigure their BC numbers as they were no where near accurate. They told me there were no pressure dents on the bullets and that these bullets were just some samples that he had packed up in a hurry to get to me.

Had he been sending me free samples to test I could have lived with that but I paid over $2 each for these bullets so the fact he called them sample quality made me want to ask for a refund but I did not. I still have most of them sitting on the shelf.

Not trying to hammer anyone here, no ill will of any kind, just an honest review of the bullets I tested and more then willing to show pics of these bullets if anyone wants to see them. Hopefully they have fixed these issues and are making a better bullet now, this was a couple years ago that I tested them.

I have some of the 338 cal 325 grainers. There are no dents or marks of any sort in the ones I have. I have also sent samples to two different outfits for BC testing. It won't be too much longer and you'll have credible BCs for the 325 gr 338s from Rocky mountain.

I also sent some 300 grain 338 cal cutting edge bullets.

I shot just under 3 inch, 3 shot group at 1000 yards with my 338 Excalibur. They shoot more accurate than the 300 Bergers, but the Bergers shot about 30 inches higher at 1000. I'm shooting them at 3075 fps with a 1 in 9 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.