RockCreek barrels????

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by NorthernSniper, Jan 19, 2004.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

  1. NorthernSniper

    NorthernSniper Well-Known Member

    Jul 31, 2003
    My understanding is that when you order a RockCreek barrel what you receive is an barrel which is simply drilled and rifled? I take it you must have it reamed, threaded for your receiver and the barrel profile turned to match your stock. Is this correct?
  2. Ian M

    Ian M Well-Known Member

    May 3, 2001
    That is how custom barrels are sold, they are called unfinished barrel blanks. The gunsmith threads, crowns, chambers, blues, teflons, etc. since each rifle action and caliber requires different machining. Essentially you get a long piece of steel tube in a heavy shipping container. The hole is drilled and rifled and there are hacksaw cuts to ensure the smith does not use the very end of each barrel. They look like jackhandles, except they cost a lot more... Turning that into the barrel we see on rifles is up to the gunsmith.

    You can also buy pre-threaded, short chambered barrels from some sources such as Brownells, Midway - believe Shilens and Douglas's, Adams and Bennet plus a few other brands. These are closer to ready to go, but not quite there as the final headspacing would have to be achieved.

    Mikes barrels are superb, its whats inside the little long hole that counts [​IMG]