Rock River Arms ATH ?

clambdin

Thinking about making one of these my first AR, probably use it for an all around Rifle but mainly for predator hunting...Anybody running one I would like to hear your opinions ?

Thank's !

clambdin - I have had the ATH for about 2 years now. As far as my experience goes, it is the optimum package from RRA. I like the 18" barrel length, and the 2 stage NM trigger is great for both range time and hunting. I have produced the .75" groups at 100yds with Hornady 75gr HPBT, which is their stated accuracy claim. It even shots mil-spec 55gr in 1.25" @ 100yds. The match grade barrel and length provide a good balance for off hand shooting. All in All I am very satisfied with the ATH. The RRA 20" models and bull barrel configurations will also give you excellent accuracy, but for carrying around and better balance versus a front heavy rifle, the ATH is a GREAT package with out compromise in accuracy. I recently shot a 1.25" group with Hornady 55gr VMAX at 200yds. The Wylde chamber also allows for the use of higher power 5.56 ammo.

Let me know what you decide and perhaps a range report?

I bought the ATH and love it ! It is amazingly accurate ...after some load development it shoots the 60gr Vmax well under a half inch ...I have one target I shot at 200 yds 5shots .600 CTC..I can't believe how accurate it is !

Maybe it is just me, but I like building my own.... I would have bought a Shilen or Lilja match barrel and bolt for $450-525 I bought 18, 20 in wylde and 24 inch in .223 SS barrels Get T6 forged upper and lowers. Nickel boron heavy full auto bolt. 2 -3 # triggers single stage.

Then you have your own build 2/3 - 3/4 of the cost that can take on the profit margin of any of the best builds

Crowned barrels are the best because of no added length because of threads and end attachments

I bought the ATH and love it ! It is amazingly accurate ...after some load development it shoots the 60gr Vmax well under a half inch ...I have one target I shot at 200 yds 5shots .600 CTC..I can't believe how accurate it is !

I probably posted too late to influence you, but your experience is the same as mine. This rifle is a GREAT value for the price. The ATH is very accurate and not front end heavy nor too long to create handling issues.

Question. I just noticed that there is a whisper of a trace of carbon residue on top of the barrel and directly in front of the gas block on my rifle. The only way I happened to notice it is because the barrel is stainless in color and the carbon is obvious on that background. I am curious if your rifle also develops this blow by? I probably got about 200 rounds through it by now. I'll try to tighten the gas block and see if that cures it.

I haven't noticed any blow by in front of the gas block on my ATH, I would give Rock River a call and see what they say..

After looking closely at my ATH I noticed a slight amount of carbon in front of the gas block..

Mine was not noticeable until my last range session. And then again it was a light amount of blowby. Once I tighten up the gas block and clean it off I'll try shooting some more and report back to yo what I find.

Thanks for posting your confirmation.

Mine was not noticeable until my last range session. And then again it was a light amount of blowby. Once I tighten up the gas block and clean it off I'll try shooting some more and report back to yo what I find.

Thanks for posting your confirmation.

Gas blocks are kind of iffy IMO........ I've had blow by around the bottom of a gas block coating a SS barrel and the latest build on a low profile steel block was around the gas tube. It appears to me that quality control is not existent in manufacturing of the tubes, block , or even the polished area of the barrel

I just bought another gas block and it was even hard to get the gas tube in. I had to use a small mallet to get it to the roll pin hole. No leaks at all.

The gas pressure from a short carbine length can be 30,000+ psi and mid length and then rifle can be down to half that

I talked with Rock River yesterday, they say a little blowby is nothing to worry about ..

Thanks for the heads up regarding their reply. I have yet to make it back out to the range. I still plan to torque the set screws and see if that helps. If our barrels were black color, I doubt we would even know because it would be too hard to see. I still do not trust their answer as being the best solution. If you ignore it, it will only get worse. How much more worse and how fast it gets worse is the only unknown. These escaping gasses at the pressures and heat by which they are escaping at will slowly erode a larger hole over time.

Pretty much every ar platform rifle ever built will leak slightly from the gas block assembly.
If your gas block falls off you have a problem, if not, no damage is being done to your gas block or port. The same hot gas is travelling down your barrel as is your gas tube.
Don't worry about a small gas leak that will eventually close itself off with more shooting.
As long as your rifle functions well with no short stroking or other gas related problems, shoot the rifle all you want, it will be fine.

mtwarych

Thanks for the information, I am sure that I would not have noticed this blow by if my barrel was black. Yes my rifle is working perfectly well other than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.