Rock chucker vs big boss 2 vs lockload classic

jtr1997

im planning on getting my own press and its between these 3 what do you guys like best and why? thanks

I have a 1991 RCBS Rock Chucker. Also a 1966 RCBS Jr. The Rock Chucker develops a lot of power within the press, Does not have to have a big heavy table to FL size large caliber cases. The press is so powerful I do not trust myself to use it for priming or seating bullets. I use a hand primer for priming. If you get an RCBS hand primer Rock Chucker combo, Get shell holders in 2's, 1 for the press, 1 for the priming tool. It takes quite a bit of work to install and remove the shell holder in the RCBS hand primer. I use my RCBS Jr. for seating bullets, I can feel the bullet sliding to its position in the neck. I have no experience with the other 2 presses. Good Luck in your selection of the press.

Any one of them will do you fine. I used an RCBS junior when I started many many years ago. Went to a rockchucker as soon as I could and used that for 20 plus years. Sold it when I moved to Texas and now use a Hornady lock n load. I really like the quick change bushing feature and have a set of 3 for every calibre I load.

im planning on getting my own press and its between these 3 what do you guys like best and why? thanks

I would go with the rock chukar. The Hornady would be my second choice. You can work a wide range of everything with the rock chukar press. It has a taller throat than my Lee classic cast, that is for sure.

I learned on a RCBS Partner and used the Rockchucker which were both very good presses. I happeded into a Forester CO-AX so I use it now for my standard bolt face cartridges. An have a Hornady Lock-N-Load for my .223 loads. Which is a very nice press. I would not hesitate to buy any of the presses you mentioned. I got the Hornady on sale for 120$ or I would have probably got the Rockchucker.

I have a Rock Chucker that I have been very happy with. Any of them would work well, just need to look at features to see if something pops out at you. One thing I don't like about the RCBS is the primer catcher. Not every primer lands in the little black plastic catcher and eventually it gets full and you have to empty it. In the Big Boss II, the primers fall through the bottom of the ram and can be collected in a tube or directed straight to the trash. Little features like that can be a swing vote for some people.

jtr1997,
The Forster CO-AX is a very good press. Good mechanical advantage and since the die is not fixed in a threaded insert the dies "float" and self align resulting in very straight ammo. If you pick the Rock Chucker or the Big Boss 2 you can remove the threaded insert the die threads into and purchase a Hornady LNL insert that threads into the press and allows you to use the Honady LNL system inserts on your dies. The Forster and the Big Boss 2 have the best primer catching systems.

jtr1997,
The Forster CO-AX is a very good press. Good mechanical advantage and since the die is not fixed in a threaded insert the dies "float" and self align resulting in very straight ammo. If you pick the Rock Chucker or the Big Boss 2 you can remove the threaded insert the die threads into and purchase a Hornady LNL insert that threads into the press and allows you to use the Honady LNL system inserts on your dies. The Forster and the Big Boss 2 have the best primer catching systems.

what about the rcbs summit same idea as the co-ax

Co Ax does not use shell holders, so, benefit is, money in your pocket as well.

Co Ax has the fastest die change...bar none. Once the dies are set, use, and put them back in storage until the next reloading shift.

More power with the Co Ax than any of the three mentioned.

what about the rcbs summit same idea as the co-ax
The Summit and CO-AX are very different from each other. The Summit has the die moving up and down, and the dies and shell holder are rigid. The coax has the case moving like conventional press but the shell holder allows the case to float, and the die also floats. The Summit looks like a good press but nothing compares to the Forester in my book. My CO-AX is 40 years old and feels the same as my buddies brand new one. Absolutely no slop in the linkage...

The Summit and CO-AX are very different from each other. The Summit has the die moving up and down, and the dies and shell holder are rigid. The coax has the case moving like conventional press but the shell holder allows the case to float, and the die also floats. The Summit looks like a good press but nothing compares to the Forester in my book. My CO-AX is 40 years old and feels the same as my buddies brand new one. Absolutely no slop in the linkage...

the one thing about the RCBS press that sort of bugs me is the lack of guide rods to prevent the ram from torqueing. The links cannot do that, and actually will help the ram torque. Lastly is the press made in the USA or China?
gary

the one thing about the RCBS press that sort of bugs me is the lack of guide rods to prevent the ram from torqueing. The links cannot do that, and actually will help the ram torque. Lastly is the press made in the USA or China?
gary
I totally agree, it seems once the press ram is fully extended it has alot of leverage to torque. Maybe the O ring trick on the die may help with runout, the Hornady New Dimension dies may also help, or the combo of the O ring and the Hornady die.
Buy American!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.