RMEF - Wolf Article

Muddyboots

Interesting discussion on "total Northern Rockies" population in ID. So what is the "true" population target for wolves per state? Per region?

Interesting discussion on "total Northern Rockies" population in ID. So what is the "true" population target for wolves per state? Per region?
I have no confidence what so ever in any report I,ve read from multi state DNR surveys,for the last 20 years.
I hunt Wis. mainly,but have had sucess in MT.Co.and Id.....
I.ve hunted the same areas since 1962...Up until the mid 70`s we had plenty of deer...and grouse..
Since then and ongoing The DNR has introduced...Turkeys,Wolves,Elk and bobcat to North and central parts of the state.
Aside from small private farms or plots(where the DNR will chase deer out and shoot from helocopters) supossedly to eradicate CWD... the deer population has PLUMMETED....we have large tracks of lands...miles pristene wilderness...without roads....
near deerless....
but the wolves are doing great.....

Have a very good relationship with Officers and Biologist in the state of Michigan in the Eastern UP....we have needed and should have had a yearly wolf harvest for the past 10 years.....the problem is people that live below the Bridge they don't have any knowledge or any of the wolf population and how it effects wildlife....I have seen what has happen and in the past 5 years the road to the very low populations or even elimination of all wildlife in the areas occupied by wolfs....
I went and sold my hunting house and land in the Eastern UP 330 acres that locked out anybody from 16 sq miles of 2 rivers and forest that you could find deer tracks on all of it with moose, bears, deer, grouse in abundance 10-15 years ago....now deer tracks are only found on about 60 acres around the house.....
Up until 2 years ago wolf tracks would be only seen January - March now it is easier to find wolf tracks than deer tracks year round....wolfs are seen within 100 ft. of the house year round and are a threat to any living animal .....

Have a very good relationship with Officers and Biologist in the state of Michigan in the Eastern UP....we have needed and should have had a yearly wolf harvest for the past 10 years.....the problem is people that live below the Bridge they don't have any knowledge or any of the wolf population and how it effects wildlife....I have seen what has happen and in the past 5 years the road to the very low populations or even elimination of all wildlife in the areas occupied by wolfs....
I went and sold my hunting house and land in the Eastern UP 330 acres that locked out anybody from 16 sq miles of 2 rivers and forest that you could find deer tracks on all of it with moose, bears, deer, grouse in abundance 10-15 years ago....now deer tracks are only found on about 60 acres around the house.....
Up until 2 years ago wolf tracks would be only seen January - March now it is easier to find wolf tracks than deer tracks year round....wolfs are seen within 100 ft. of the house year round and are a threat to any living animal .....
ALL SO VERY TRUE...!!!
There is a reason wolves were shot on site for 100's of years....
THEY EAT THE SAME THING WE DO...UP TO AND INCLUDING US IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL...!!!

I say just let the population bump up against the social carrying capacity, which is happening now. That's probably better than a meaningless, minor, legal season.

I have no interest in playing the never ending game with the anti-hunters, & wolf lovers.

I say just let the population bump up against the social carrying capacity, which is happening now. That's probably better than a meaningless, minor, legal season.

I have no interest in playing the never ending game with the anti-hunters, & wolf lovers.
You would speak differently if they were eating your calves,lambs,fawns.

Agree with the Michigan report.
I live in Alcona county NE lower peninsula, we have a few scattered wolves in the area.
When a pack starts to form the local boys who have been running hounds here their entire lives take care of matters.
Brother deer hunts on Drummond Island they also handle matters in house.
The rest of the UP is to big to control with out a hunting season, I would never consider taking my pointer with me on a UP grouse hunt not worth the risk.
Steve Bair

Wolves are smart predators. Once they have eradicated their prey they will move to greener pastures. When cattle ranchers are nearby, all hello breaks loose. Sadly it will take a tragedy to change the minds of some of the wolf lovers. They have no clue about effective game management and conservation.

Wolves are smart predators. Once they have eradicated their prey they will move to greener pastures. When cattle ranchers are nearby, all hello breaks loose. Sadly it will take a tragedy to change the minds of some of the wolf lovers. They have no clue about effective game management and conservation.
Only thing you missed is there usually is a new smaller pack that moves in when the larger one leaves.
We have them and a lot of SSS goes on. The thing that saves us the most is the local Natives hunt and shoot them on sight.
Funny when you talk to them. They flat out are shooting them 99 percent "those dam things are wiping out everything we eat to live on and the only way to slow it down is kill everyone you see".

Thanks muddy. Those articles are intended to put facts out to help educate people. Unfortunately facts are still way behind feelings in the USA for policy decisions. They tend to just frustrate me even more. Luckily we can shoot them on sight with a cheap tag in a few states anyway.

Mt has similar numbers and far excedes the recovery goal for the state. If in NW side and they with cat and grizz have ruined my areas. I hunted all but last week in rifle and never saw a mule deer buck. One day driving threw mountains in over 100 mile loop with fresh snow only crossed handful of deer tracks and not s single elk track. In my youth I could get a trophy regularly. Im getting forced to the east side, which just puts more hunters in same spot.