RM big horn strategy

Agreed with above statement...I dropped WY 2 years ago with 11 points...no way in my lifetime...that is why I said use a Service like TAGS or Epic to get you in a strategy they have helped me a bunch.

I've been extremely blessed. Drew a CO bighorn the first draw eligible. Got a NV desert bighorn tag with only ten points. Both successful hunts. I use the Huntin' Fool magazine to keep up with deadlines and draw odds and do my own applications. Saves some dollars and I find it enjoyable studying the details making choices. You might want to avoid states that are true preference point draws as you may spend a lot of dollars and never catch up. Did a successful Alaskan dall several years ago for about a fourth of the cost today. My only regret is not doing a stone then as well. Only hope for that now is winning a hunt or the lottery 😢

Put in each state that you can...get an interest free credit card, (I suggest you use a service like Epic outdoors--to get you into a strategy) they will put about 15k on it for a period of time--just pay the minimum monthly and pay off at the end it cost about 2k in licensing every year...get in line...your chances are slim, but they are zero if you don't. Next move to Nevada and starting putting in as in-state--best chance in lower 48..or Alaska and go hunting.If you want to shoot a sheep--and live in Indiana start saving a Dall is about 20k now...it was 12k in 2002..it just keeps going up...

It can be done--I started a little younger than you and am 44 now and have 2 NA sheep to my credit--so get on it...
Dalls now run up to 40k with some of the top outfitters

Dalls now run up to 40k with some of the top outfitters

That is a shame...I helped a friend book a hunt in Alaska for 2021 last year...it was right at 20k. I paid top dollar in 2002 and it was 12.2k. Money is also cheap--the gov keeps printing it. I like hunting international now--as i find the adventure in the trip. I will not spend 50k on a sheep hunt...I find spending that amout of money gross...it is not fun anymore...I will continue to put in--and if I draw a Rocky and kill, I might see about a Fannin --but paying $35k+ for a +-60% chance at a ram doesn't get me excited....don't get me wrong I love wild sheep--but the game is too crazy.I wish all were done lottery as now it hardly pays to have 20+ points...

That is a shame...I helped a friend book a hunt in Alaska for 2021 last year...it was right at 20k. I paid top dollar in 2002 and it was 12.2k. Money is also cheap--the gov keeps printing it. I like hunting international now--as i find the adventure in the trip. I will not spend 50k on a sheep hunt...I find spending that amout of money gross...it is not fun anymore...I will continue to put in--and if I draw a Rocky and kill, I might see about a Fannin --but paying $35k+ for a +-60% chance at a ram doesn't get me excited....don't get me wrong I love wild sheep--but the game is too crazy.I wish all were done lottery as now it hardly pays to have 20+ points...

Fannins are closer to stones in price
Not many outfitters offer them

If your interested in international hunts im going for a Dagasten tur in nov. Theres room for 1 more

I've been VERY fortunate to take all 4 NA sheep but I drew two of them because I got in on the ground floor of the point systems many years ago. I also won my Dall Sheep hunt at a Wild Sheep Foundation Banquet. I had to dig up some serious cash to buy my Stone Ram and I had to go twice to finally succeed.
Some states, like Wyoming, may be a waste of your money because given the number of people and points ahead of you, you pretty much have zero chance. Idaho and NM don't have points so you are in the front of the line in those states. The thin horns (Dalls and Stones) you will have to buy or win from a lottery. Epic would be a good way to go if you can do that.
If you are really interested in hunting sheep you have to be very serious about applying and know you will need some luck, and it is still going to cost you plenty of money.
Having said all that, each one of my sheep hunts, including the unsuccessful one, was a great adventure, worth the effort.

Don't expect to live long enough to draw a tag but did get up close and personal with this dude protecting his sweetheart, not in the pic, while elk hunting in Montana:

Attachments

• IMG_04311.jpg
    IMG_04311.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_04321.jpg
    IMG_04321.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 157
Have been applying for MT bighorn for many yrs. I currently have 15 bonus points banked plus the one I purchased this year and the application for 17 total for 2020. The anticipation is fun albeit I have not drawn a bighorn tag as yet. But, I did draw a mountain goat tagin the first 7 yrs. that I applied. One can dream.
Now, for a newer younger sport just getting into it I recommend an aoudad hunt in TX. or NM. There are over the counter tags for some zones in SE NM. Aoudads are a fun hunt, can be difficult to find in NM. But, worth the effort. Another good hunt would be to apply for an Ibex tag in NM. Draw this tag and get yourself in shape as these Ibex live in the nose bleed altitudes. I hunt quail in and around the base of the Florida mountains where the Ibex live. A very handsome critter with rams that can grow horns up to 40" plus.
There are so many different types of hunts for a younger person to research. The adventure is the best part. MTG

After you save $5,000 to $8,000 for your retirement fund each year, I'd take an extra $1500 and put it in a solid stock index fund. Do that every year. Once it grows enough, buy a dall hunt.

The supply and demand of western sheep tags is kind of stupid and getting worse. I drew out as a resident of CO back in 1999 or 2000 for an archery ram tag and got one. Since then the number of applicants has exploded and I just can't see encouraging you to apply for them. That's just me.

Between wa. & mt. I have put in for 49 years wished I had done the over the counter in mt. Before my Parkinson's slowed me down.dont wait just figure it out and go for it. Mt. Still has otc tags with a harvest quota

Its a shame how it goes I was hoping draw and cost go so high. I had few guys I know do slam with bow,one almost has super slam. For me its overrated and to pricey. Hunting local I have to watch I dont run them over,last season barely missed them w/camper and jeep in tow.Cant get tag but they have ran over more than 200 since 2002

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts