RM big horn strategy

Cody Richardson

Mid west whitetail hunter here......
I have found a new obsession with western hunting and love the ability to hunt some of these great OTC opportunities for elk and mulies but I am wanting to start planning my "long game" tags. One of which being a Rocky Mountain big horn. I'm 28 yrs old and want to start planning. Of the western states, which would you suggest being the one to start building points in?

Exactly what Threejs said, I've been in Montana for 42 years, applied for 42 years haven't seen a tag yet...but there's always this year to hope for:) I have a bunch of Wyo points as well.

I'm thinking that to be in the running in Wyo and AZ that you'll need (at this time) 24 or so years of points....

Put in each state that you can...get an interest free credit card, (I suggest you use a service like Epic outdoors--to get you into a strategy) they will put about 15k on it for a period of time--just pay the minimum monthly and pay off at the end it cost about 2k in licensing every year...get in line...your chances are slim, but they are zero if you don't. Next move to Nevada and starting putting in as in-state--best chance in lower 48..or Alaska and go hunting.If you want to shoot a sheep--and live in Indiana start saving a Dall is about 20k now...it was 12k in 2002..it just keeps going up...

It can be done--I started a little younger than you and am 44 now and have 2 NA sheep to my credit--so get on it...

Yup sheep hunting is either a lucky or a rich mans sport at this point. I live comfortably and enjoy my hunting, fishing, and shooting but short of winning either the tag lotto or powerball I don't ever see being able to pay for sheep hunt.

Put in each state that you can...get an interest free credit card, (I suggest you use a service like Epic outdoors--to get you into a strategy) they will put about 15k on it for a period of time--just pay the minimum monthly and pay off at the end it cost about 2k in licensing every year...get in line...your chances are slim, but they are zero if you don't. Next move to Nevada and starting putting in as in-state--best chance in lower 48..or Alaska and go hunting.If you want to shoot a sheep--and live in Indiana start saving a Dall is about 20k now...it was 12k in 2002..it just keeps going up...

It can be done--I started a little younger than you and am 44 now and have 2 NA sheep to my credit--so get on it...

That's pretty cool that you drew 2 sheep tags, what states did you draw in?

Don't forget New Mexico, no preference points needed, but long odds on drawing. A member here drew on his first try, a few years ago.

Texas also has a lottery draw tag for residents and non-residents.

Mid west whitetail hunter here......
I have found a new obsession with western hunting and love the ability to hunt some of these great OTC opportunities for elk and mulies but I am wanting to start planning my "long game" tags. One of which being a Rocky Mountain big horn. I'm 28 yrs old and want to start planning. Of the western states, which would you suggest being the one to start building points in?

Cody, do not waste your time or energy in states like WYO, you do not have a statistical chance to draw the sheep or moose tag in your life time. WYO is set up to give 75% of tags to folks with the most points, if an area does not have 4 tags available there is no random draw only the draw for folks with points. My suggestion for a state like WYO is to build a slush fund of money and put in for the tag every year, only putting in for areas that have more than 4 tags so you will a chance in the random draw. Do not purchase the bonus point and keep putting in every year with the same money. I'm very familiar with WYO system and currently have 17 moose points and at one time had 12 or 13 sheep points and let them go. If you look at the number of people in the point system and the way they allocate tags you will never draw the tag playing the point system. Only in the random draw do you have a chance. SAVE YOUR MONEY, DON'T BUY POINTS THERE. Other states work differently, you have to understand the system before getting involved.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.