RL26 substitute?

TXAoudadKlr

Since RL26 is unicorn dust, what powder would make a good substitute to RL26? VVN565?

I worked a load up for my 300AX last fall with RL33 and the HH 181. I found RL33 is just a bit too slow for it. 108gr it was full and 110 was compressed but just barely showed any hints of pressure signs. With that I feel I still have throttle left just need to find a more appropriate powder for it. I felel RL26 would be it but can't find it and am now willing to look for a substitute to it that is more readily available.

I think you're on the right track with n565. It seemed really close to 26 in my 270 sherman with the small test I did. H-1000 is right there with them burn wise but generally doesn't produce quite as much speed as the other two. Retumbo may be a good option for you to try as well if you haven't already.

N565 would be pretty close, h1000 will be a little slower and take roughly 2 grains more for the same velocity, and take up a little more room than the same weight of reloder 26. Retumbo is another step slower, almost like reloder 33 if I remember correctly, but still a little faster.

I would go with N565 for a Reloder 26 sub.

I get great velocity with RL33. I ran out of room as it was still climbing 40-50fps a grain. I feel there's a good bit of throttle left to tap.

Have you tried using a drop tube to get more powder in the case without being compressed? I made one the other day out of a 12" piece of copper tube between my powder funnel and one of the adapters off of an old powder measure I don't use. Can definitely get more slow burning powder in the smaller cases without it being compressed. Kinda rednecked the end that goes into the bottom of the powder funnel with a bunch of electrical tape but it works. I'll do a nice one when I get more time.

Ditto H1000.... similar burn rate, slightly less velocity. One of the MOST consistent/stable powders I ve loaded.

Haven't tried a drop tube. I'm tempted instead of starting from scratch again. I did notice the higher the load went the tighter my groups got. When 108 printed 1/3 moa and clocked nearly 3500 I stopped.

Drop tube helped that much? 110 did 3585fps which would be that much more awesome if it stayed accurate.

For 6.5-.308's I've tested, Retumbo, while a bit faster then R26/N565, seems to be the next highest velocity choice of the Hogdon powders.

You must mean Varget? Those powders are too fast to compare to Retumbo.

I'd bet in a case that size a long drop tube will get you another grain or two before compression. Maybe more. I don't know that much about them yet but I know the Sherman Short shooters are pretty high on them and I just put this one together for my 25sst to stop the crunch I was getting without it loading n565 in virgin brass.

Drop tube helped that much? 110 did 3585fps which would be that much more awesome if it stayed accurate.
In my relatively small capacity .260 AI, a drop tube made nearly 2 grains difference with the same case fill and Reloder 26, and that was with a 6" Forster drop tube. In your case it would likely be significant. Just trickle it slowly into the case and it helps alot with extruded grain powders. Worth a try.