RL26 and 6.5 Creedmoor

very nice. I use 42.4 gr of H4350 WITH A 143 GR Hornady ELD-X in my 6.5CM. My last outing I was shooting 200 yards and put 4 into a .392" group then not sure if a gremlin came in or I pulled it but #5 strayed a bit and opened the group up to .646". Still in all I'm more than happy with the rifle shooting about 1/3 MOA even with the "flyer". Mine is a Bergara HMR.

I get 48-48.5 of RL26 into LAPUA brass using a drop tube, but if I run Peterson I'm maxed at around 46.5-47 before I see pressure signs and I'm at about max fill. But even at the lower charge in Peterson I'm still getting great MV in the low 2900's. With 48 in the LAPUA brass I'm running 2992 FPS in a Savage. Shoots bug-holes.

Really wanted to try RL26 in my 6,5 CM, but the usable case capacity of my Norma brass is only 48.9 grains with a 130 Berger AR hybrid seated to OAL of 2.946". QL estimates speed at 2,922 (26"), but I'm already shooting .6 MOA with 43.5 grains of RL16 at 2,977.

Try the swirl technique for charging. I find I'm able to get more in that way. Swirling it in then using an electric toothbrush to vibrate the case I can get 50gr and change with a little crunching. Shoots great and awesome speeds. That is with Hornady brass. I am going to try some Lapua when it gets here.

Really wanted to try RL26 in my 6,5 CM, but the usable case capacity of my Norma brass is only 48.9 grains with a 130 Berger AR hybrid seated to OAL of 2.946". QL estimates speed at 2,922 (26"), but I'm already shooting .6 MOA with 43.5 grains of RL16 at 2,977.
Norma and Nosler 6.5 cm brass both have more capacity than lapua/prime/peterson. If you're getting that good of results with RL16, I'd stick with it. Rl26 would likely bump you up another 50-75fps max. It's also a little harder on throats. Drop tubes are your friend here. Guys will also use and electric toothbrush to vibrate the case and get the powder to settle, but that takes a while.

And I just realized @jpndave said the exact thing earlier.

I will also recommend large primer brass, I'm using cci250 with RL26. Next best primer would probably be 210m. That's a lot of slower burning double based powder to ignite, especially in a cold hunting situation. I'd want to keep ignition temps and pressure up for that purpose.

Try the swirl technique for charging. I find I'm able to get more in that way. Swirling it in then using an electric toothbrush to vibrate the case I can get 50gr and change with a little crunching. Shoots great and awesome speeds. That is with Hornady brass. I am going to try some Lapua when it gets here.
I agree with the swirl technique. Drop the powder in slowly towards the top of the funnel and you'll see it "swirl" around the funnel before it drops in. I find this very effective. If you drop all the powder too fast you run into issues.

very nice. I use 42.4 gr of H4350 WITH A 143 GR Hornady ELD-X in my 6.5CM. My last outing I was shooting 200 yards and put 4 into a .392" group then not sure if a gremlin came in or I pulled it but #5 strayed a bit and opened the group up to .646". Still in all I'm more than happy with the rifle shooting about 1/3 MOA even with the "flyer". Mine is a Bergara HMR.
my hunting load!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1248.JPG
    IMG_1248.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 199
Older thread but how many loadings are you guys getting out of your brass pushing 3000 with 140's? I read somewhere that the Berger data listed was possibly quickload data and not pressure test data.

338 Bruce, I have the same rifle that you do. Tried some R26 today with 142 Sierra BTHP. 47.0 grains gave me 2883 fps. 47.5 gave me a bolt lift so hard that I quit right there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.