RL26 and 300wsm

I'll agree with you on the 200 ELDX in the 300 WSM. Mine loves it! I developed the load with RL17 before RL26 was available. Ragged 5 shot hole at 100 yards using 62.8 gr of RL17 and a COAL of 2.855" and 2952 fps. I normally use a COAL of 2.86 or longer, but seating down to 2.855" just snugged the load up. That bullet is a hammer on elk. I dropped a nice 5x5 NM bull in his tracks. It was like somebody pulled the rug out from under him
Carries giant energy at these velocities. Can't wait to get to the range. Cheers

At the risk of hijacking my own thread...have any of you guys used RL16 with 200g bullets? I'd like to try it but can't find any load data for the heavier bullets. I'm thinking it might be a little too fast burning for the heavier bullets, but hey I like to experiment.

We worked up a load in my cousin's Savage 300WSM with a 26" barrel using 208gr ELDs, RL26, W-W brass, and Fed 215s. Average velocity was around 2850 with 68 grains of RL26 with light pressure signs. This is an excellent powder and every reasonable cartridge I have tried it in it works awesome!

I have been running 68.5 grains of RL26 in my 300 WSM with both the 200 ELD-X and the 215 Berger Hybrid. They both seem to like the same charge. The 200 is about 70 fps faster than the 215. The 215 shoots a little more accurate so that's the direction I went. 2830 fps in a 24" barreled factory M70 classic with bullets seated to 3.020" or so. You've got to love the size of the factory short action mag box in a Winny!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.