RL26 and 300wsm

mrjashu

I've been hearing rumblings about people having good success with RL-26 in 300wsm. I'd like to hear about some of the loads you're using. Published data for this combo is pretty limited. In particular I'm interested in 200g bullets like the accubond and ELD-X. This powder seems to be a winner so let's hear how everyone is doing!

Can't help with your WSM but I can say that I was reloading 215 Berger Hybrids with H1000 in my Dad's 300 Win. And was getting decent results at about 2870fps. Finally found some RL-26 and was able to get 2960 with a very low ES and no pressure signs. I did have one load that went over 3000fps but the bolt was a little sticky so I opted for the lighter load. I believe I retrieved the data for that load off of the Alliant website. I'm excited to see what it will do with 180s in my 7RM. Best of luck to you, I think it's a great powder.

RL26 is working well in my 300 WSM. I have a new generation Win 70 300 WSM fitted with a 26" Pac Nor barrel. It piles 200 ELD-X into little groups at 3017 fps with excellent temp stability and single digit ES. I don't know about published data available, but I worked mine using the OCW method and found a node around 69 grains in Norma brass with the ELD-X seated at .020" off the lands. I started with a Fed 210M primer and switched to a CCI 250.

RL26 is working well in my 300 WSM. I have a new generation Win 70 300 WSM fitted with a 26" Pac Nor barrel. It piles 200 ELD-X into little groups at 3017 fps with excellent temp stability and single digit ES. I don't know about published data available, but I worked mine using the OCW method and found a node around 69 grains in Norma brass with the ELD-X seated at .020" off the lands. I started with a Fed 210M primer and switched to a CCI 250.
Awesome! Great info thanks!

Any updates on testing with the RL26 in the 300 WSM

My RL26 load is developed. It's printing in the .2s-.3s at the 330 yards, so there won't be any more updates from me. I plan to take it bear hunting alongside my new Christensen Ridgeline 300 WM that is performing extremely well with RL26 too.

Last edited:
My RL26 load is developed. It's printing in the .2s-.3s at the 330 yards, so there won't be any more updates from me. I plan to take it bear hunting alongside my new Christensen Ridgeline 300 WM that is performing extremely well with RL26 too.
Thanks for the info Brent. I'll start a few GR below and work up. Cheers.

Been loading my ridge line 300 wm with 26 as well. Would you care to share your load? I think I'll be at 74.4 with the 215 Berger using a 215m primer in adg brass

Been loading my ridge line 300 wm with 26 as well. Would you care to share your load? I think I'll be at 74.4 with the 215 Berger using a 215m primer in adg brass

I am using 75.5 grains in Nosler brass with a CCI250 and a 215 Hybrid seated at .020" off. My velocity is 2975 fps in a factory chambered Christensen 26" bbl.

So Brent you're running the 215 Berger in the Christensen and the 200 ELDX in the Mod 70?

Yes. That is correct. The 200 ELD-X is darn near the perfect bullet for my 300 WSM.

Just like the 215 Berger is darn near the perfect bullet for the 300 Win Mag.

I'm excited to run the ELDX then in my short mag. Got a box of 200's I've had for a while. New brass is prepped. Out to the shop to do some load development and off to the range this weekend. I'll report back my results. Cheers..

Been printing sub 1/2 moa with imr 4350 and 180 ttsx in my stock model 70 featherweight but after reading this I can't wait to get my hands on some rl26......

Yes. That is correct. The 200 ELD-X is darn near the perfect bullet for my 300 WSM.

Just like the 215 Berger is darn near the perfect bullet for the 300 Win Mag.

I'll agree with you on the 200 ELDX in the 300 WSM. Mine loves it! I developed the load with RL17 before RL26 was available. Ragged 5 shot hole at 100 yards using 62.8 gr of RL17 and a COAL of 2.855" and 2952 fps. I normally use a COAL of 2.86 or longer, but seating down to 2.855" just snugged the load up. That bullet is a hammer on elk. I dropped a nice 5x5 NM bull in his tracks. It was like somebody pulled the rug out from under him

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.