RL23 temp stability?

Thanks for the responses. Berger must have a slow test barrel. 2887 fps from a 24" barrel seemed like a smoking fast load.
Not sure Berger has test barrels and will tell you most if not all their data is generated from quickload.
Again, most data is conservative. They did pass out some 300 Norma mag data after the manual was published that was way hot, again, computer generated.

I worked up the same load with Nosler brass first and then switched to Peterson. I'm at 1.2 gr of RL-23 less than the Nosler load. I originally backed off .5 gr and got a velocity that was super fast. I didn't have any pressure signs but knew it was way to hot to run. I basically reworked the load and I'm getting the same velocity as Nosler 2930 avg w/24" barrel at 1.2 gr less powder. I think Peterson is some sturdy brass and will take a lot of pressure before it shows signs.

I just tried RL23 in a 7 RM today. And HOLLY MOLLY!!! Stuff is super fast in my barrel. Here is today's load recipe.
RL23: 69.0 grains
ADG brass virgin
Fed215m primer
Barnes 145 LRX at 125 thou off the lands
Velocity is average of 3297 FPS with a ES of 20
Total round count on the barrel is only 44
This shot a 0.614 five shot group this morning using a Javlin bipod and rear bag shooting prone.

I'm going to shoot 50 thou and 100 thou off lands tomorrow morning.

Oh. And this is in a 7lb 10oz total weight, rifle setup including my suppressor

Brian

Last edited:
Peterson brass is very heavy at the web/case head. It's even heavier than lapua in 6.5x284 and creedmoor cases that I've compared. Def reduce charge when switching brass manufacturers. RL23 is a good powder, works very well in the saum/prc cases. Its fluffy if you would, compresses very easily and gives great case fill.

If anyone is using Peterson brass, Reding Competition dies and the 175 Elite Hunter, I would be interested in your neck bushing size. I was using .308 for Nosler and have upped to .309 for Peterson but not sure am correct. Do not have a micrometer to measure neck wall thickness. Loaded (unturned) neck is measuring about .313 on a caliper.

If anyone is using Peterson brass, Reding Competition dies and the 175 Elite Hunter, I would be interested in your neck bushing size. I was using .308 for Nosler and have upped to .309 for Peterson but not sure am correct. Do not have a micrometer to measure neck wall thickness. Loaded (unturned) neck is measuring about .313 on a caliper.

Well. I'm a liking this RL23 in my 7mag.
It's shooting 1/2 moa and better with the 145LRX Bullets. Velocity is 3310fps in a 24" barrel. :cool: Me happy happy happy

This is in the Cooper 92 Backcountry I was going to sell

Brian

RL23 is some fast stuff...My cousin brought me his Christianson Arms 300 win mag with some load data a friend of his did with RL23/200g ABs...He claimed 3000fps with ES of 10 and 5/8 MOA at .025" off the lands. I couldn't believe he was getting 3000fps with the 200s and not seeing pressure? So I load them up to the same specs and sure enough I'm seeing 3000-30025fps, but I'm also seeing heavy ejector Mark's on every case. I told my cousin and he just said to run it since it's his elk rifle so. I said ok but you should probably drop it down to around 2900fps and save your brass. He didnt want to listen so he got what he asked for. I hope he doesnt blow a primer or stick a bolt during his hunt.

RL23 is some fast stuff...My cousin brought me his Christianson Arms 300 win mag with some load data a friend of his did with RL23/200g ABs...He claimed 3000fps with ES of 10 and 5/8 MOA at .025" off the lands. I couldn't believe he was getting 3000fps with the 200s and not seeing pressure? So I load them up to the same specs and sure enough I'm seeing 3000-30025fps, but I'm also seeing heavy ejector Mark's on every case. I told my cousin and he just said to run it since it's his elk rifle so. I said ok but you should probably drop it down to around 2900fps and save your brass. He didnt want to listen so he got what he asked for. I hope he doesnt blow a primer or stick a bolt during his hunt.
People on this forum say they get 2950 FPS with a 215 berger from a 25" 300win with h1000..... I'm more inclined to believe your buddy's deal with rl23 then the guys claiming h1000 makes 2950 with a 215 berger in 300win.

Rl23 is fantastic in my brothers 7mm rem and my 7wsm. The 7RM shooting 140 partitions @ 3260 FPS(24in) and my 7wsm shoots 180 ELDm @ 3020fps (26in)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.