RL23 temp stability?

CTK

Shot a new 280ai today with 175 Elite Hunter and RL23. Used Peterson brass which I think may have slightly less volume capacity than Nosler brass. Was 92 degrees. Speed at .6gr off of Berger provided max load was 80fps higher than their max load velocity. No pressure signs other than a very faint extractor print. I kept the loaded rounds in the air conditioning until ready to shoot. This is the second outing for this rifle. First outing was with RL 26 and I hit pressure signs below the Berger provided max. Did not get speed on the RL26 loads. So hot temps or Peterson brass explains higher velocity? Or both?

RL23 is extremely temp stable and gives me single digit ES in multiple rifles. My 7wsm shoots 180 ELDm @ 3020 FPS with 1.3 grains under the max. Velocity is impressive. Shot this in both 95and 31 degrees (From the same big jug). 95 degrees my 5 shot average was 3021 FPS with extreme spread of 9. 31 degree 5 shot average was 3018 FPS with an extreme spread of 7 FPS. Krieger 26" 1:8.5.

Rl26 gave this rifle more speed but ES in the 60s. So rl23 it is.

The reloder series isnt as temp stable as they would like you to believe.

Attachments

• Tempsens.JPG
    Tempsens.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 362
I find RL-16 good in my tests. In fact, its rapidly replacing H-4350 and RL-17 in several of my cartridges
I have tried 16 in my 6.5x47 May again. H4350 did not give me the accuracy that I wanted for the x47. Ended up going Varget and giving up a little speed. Bought some H100v because of the advertised speed for a 270win. Assumed it was as temp stable as h4350 and 4831. Now wonder if it is their attempt at RL17. Going to do more research before spend any time with it.

Thanks for the responses. Berger must have a slow test barrel. 2887 fps from a 24" barrel seemed like a smoking fast load.

Likely different brass. That said it could be their test barrel too. No two barrels are the same, that's why most manuals state to start low or 10% less than max or something to that effect. If you only started .6 grains low I'd say you started too high.

Likely different brass. That said it could be their test barrel too. No two barrels are the same, that's why most manuals state to start low or 10% less than max or something to that effect. If you only started .6 grains low I'd say you started too high.
Worked my way up. Always start low

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.