RL16 Load Data for 338 Win Mag

R C

Does anyone have any experience or load data for the Sierra Game King 250 grain SBT with RL16 in the 338 win mag? Good/bad idea? Doesn't seem to be much info out there yet so I thought I would check and see if anyone had tried it out or had an opinion.

Thanks!!!!

It seems toward the fast end for 250s in my opinion. It could work well in shorter barreled guns, and looks like a good fit for lighter bullets in the 338 WM. You never know until you try though. When I had one I remember using RL19, RL22, 4350, and 4831, which are all slower than RL16. I was loading 225-250 grain bullets. RL16 is getting good reviews in the 7mm-08 for high velocity loads with heavier bullets. This is a cartridge that typically uses stuff like RL15, RL17, Varget, H414, etc. I say if you have some RL16 on hand it would be worth trying out. Alliant's data looks encouraging. But most other sources of data aren't even listing RL17 for a 250 grain bullet, and it burns a bit slower. Go figure!

Does anyone have any experience or load data for the Sierra Game King 250 grain SBT with RL16 in the 338 win mag? Good/bad idea? Doesn't seem to be much info out there yet so I thought I would check and see if anyone had tried it out or had an opinion.

Thanks!!!!
In all honesty, I think you would be wasting your time and powder trying to get any sort of performance from that powder.
I've been loading for the 338WM in one form or another since 1990. The ONLY powder that has NEVER failed to achieve, and surpass, book data has ALWAYS been RE19.
It not only gave me the highest velocities over other powders like H4831 & RE22, but was WAY more accurate to boot.
Every 338 I've had to date has a 26" barrel. Velocities I obtain with this powder are quite impressive; 225gr AB @ 2890fps & 250gr PT @ 2780fps.

Cheers.
:)

I will be loading for a TC Prohunter Encore, 28 inch barrel. I did have 1.5 inches cut off and a brake installed by SSK. Recoil is noticeably less. So far I've got 45 rounds through it, the last 15 rounds it seems to be tightening up and starting to group better. I had gotten some RE16 for my 270 to try and was curious if it could work on the 338 but I couldn't find much info on it. Sierra and Alliant both punted with no data so I came here. Thanks for the info so far. I am new to reloading so if I seem green, I am. Again, Thanks!!

RL 16 would work well 185gr to 210gr very close too IMR 4350 in 338 Win Mag.
RL 16 @ 68.5 with 210gr Nosler Part a good place to start.

There is a reason why there is no data!

I recently asked ADI Thales who make some Hodgdon powders why there is no load date for a certain weighted projectile with a certain powder for a certain cartridge.

The answer was the powder has to much bulk density for that weighted projectile.

In other words to much powder to fit in the case for the particular projectile.

It can also work the other war around!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.